Upgrading my Trance X3...All help needed on what to get!

loxster71
loxster71 Posts: 269
edited October 2011 in MTB buying advice
Hi All,
As the title says i am upgrading my 2010 Giant Trance X3 ( white) and need some help and advice from all of you wise folk on here who have already bought new upgraded parts.
Looking at the spec on Giant's website the bike in standard form weighs around 28lbs, what could i change to reduce weight and give performance benefits that would be notice able.

All help and advice welcome...Thanks! :D
Giant Trance X3
Boardman Limited Edition Carbon #344
BMC Streetfire ssx( converted to flat bar Hybrid)

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The current spec is?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • loxster71
    Sorry forgot to mention that lol! DOH.
    Giant own brand bars, stem and seat post.
    Mavic xm117 wheels (15mm thru axle front, std rear)
    Shimano deore shifters and front mech,
    Slx rear mech,
    Deore chinset,
    Fizik Gobi seat.
    Fox 120mm Forks.
    Fox rear shock.
    Kenda Nevegal Stick-E tyres.

Any thing else i you need to know?

Cheers.
    Giant Trance X3
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Wheels will make make a difference to the weight. The standard recommendation seems to be Hope/Stan's or something similar. XT shifters would feel nicer than the Deore. Bars, stem and, to a lesser extent, seatpost is down to personal preference mostly: you could just get some lighter (expensive) ones in the same sizes and shapes, or play around with different setups for a different feel. Cockpit parts are usually the least weight loss for most expense though, imo, and the feel is more important than anything else.

Is there anything you don't actually like about it just now?
  • bamba
    bamba Posts: 856
    Think any weight gains may be minimal, look at the spec for the x1 of the same year, weight is 26.5 lbs, mostly through xt stuff on it, wheels will probably save most weight.
  • loxster71
    Thanks so far for the advice, The brakes tend to make a high pitched wine from time to time ( Juicy 3's) but stop me well enough. I find this irritating and embarrasing ( Did BHF robin hood ride and kept having to gently squeeze the brake to stop the whining).

Any brake upgrade advice..Cheaper the better please.
    Giant Trance X3
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Formula Oro (either direct from Formula's webshop, or from CRC) are good value and work very nicely. They'll be a bit lighter than the Juicys too.

Rosebikes have very good prices on Shimano brakes just now too.
  • bamba
    bamba Posts: 856
    Noisy brakes is normally a pad issue, either take them out for a clean up or replace them, provided nothing is seized up .
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    Realign the calipers, I had the same problem with the juicy 3's. Service on both fork and shock and some custom valving can give you nicer ride if you haven't done it before.
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I had a 2010 Trance X3. Best upgrades I made were swap the big chain ring for a bash guard to improve ground clearance. Change the wheels for something lighter & stronger, originals are a bit heavy. Replace the cranks with Shimano SLX, lighter & stiffer, CRC have got them at a bargain price at the moment. Replace the Juicy 3 brakes with Shimano SLX.
    The best upgrade I had was push tuning for the forks & shock, phone TF Tuned, tell them what you would like improved and they come back vastly improved.