What bike for Whistler??

tee1
tee1 Posts: 5
edited October 2011 in MTB buying advice
Hey,

So i'm a lucky git :D I'm living in Whistler for the 2 years and was hoping for some advise on bikes please. I'm looking to buy a new ride in the off season over hear but am unsure what style of bike to get . At home I have a hardtail but that's just not going to cut the mustard . I've never done any DH but am keen to try ride some of the bike park trails such as b line and crank it up. I'm not into hillls but would also like to ride some xc trails and be able to get around town too.
What are my options guys? I'm looking for something which will suit a girl. Any recommendations? I'm a bit worried a DH bike would be too heavy and limit the type of terrain I could ride. I'm on a budget so most likely going to be buying 2nd hand

Cheers

Comments

• rhialto
    rhialto Posts: 277
    As is often mentioned on these forums when someone asks about buying a bike, you really need to try and ride several bikes before you decide what to buy. There are several bike shops in and around Whistler (also in Pemberton and Squamish, which are not far from Whistler) and there are several rental outlets as well, which would allow you to try before you buy and get a sense of what type of bike suits your riding on the trails that you will be riding.

The lineups of bikes that you will find there is not exactly the same as here in the UK so recommendations from here may not be available around Whistler. For example, Norco and Rocky Mountain are quite popular in Canada but you rarely hear of them on this forum. Conversely, you probably won't see any Orange bikes over there. You might be able to get a good deal on a Santa Cruz or a Trek.

So bottom line, wait until you get to Whistler and rent or borrow a few bikes (you should be able to find some friendly locals who will lend you a ride). You will then be able to make a much more informed purchase. Hope this helps.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    I live in the French Alps and if I could have only one do-it-all bike I think it would be a Specialized Enduro

Great on the DH tracks & in the park and was amazed at how well it climbed too. Also a lot cheaper stateside than over here
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8