Silent freewhweel

SimonAH
SimonAH Posts: 3,730
edited October 2011 in Commuting chat
Built a gash bikerack for the workshop (you know, hook the saddles over a bar thing) and lined up the fleet. Spun all the rear wheels and the pub hack beat the rest hands down. Sh1t, you can go to the house for a beer, come back, and the rear is still merrily spinning in eerie silence.

I built her from bits a good while back. It's an 8 speed cassette and the skewer at least is marked DuraAce. But there is not the tiniest hint of a ratchet click.......what do I not know about here?
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Probably a good old Shimano cup and cone
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Cup and cone, wot no ratchet?
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Can't give you the technical explanation, but, when I first bought Shimano hubs a few years back, they were silent, whereas Campag had that clicking.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Yup, my Tiagra hubs are whisper quiet. It's a matter of preference, a guy at work loves his DT Swiss hubs, because they make such a racket.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    When I changed the original wheels on the hybrid to Shimano rs20s first thing I noticed was how quiet they were. Current wheels are handbuilt with Ultegra hubs which are also very quiet. There is nothing quite like freewheeling downhill in relative silence. I don't think I'd want a noisy freewheel again. However, I've talked about this in morpeth before and there was some with the opinion that clicking is good to show person being scalped you went past freewheeling....
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    All hubs can be silent, if you keep pedalling!
    :wink:
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    Yup, my Tiagra hubs are whisper quiet. It's a matter of preference, a guy at work loves his DT Swiss hubs, because they make such a racket.
    +1 for the quiet tiagras. Mine only click for a couple of rides after they have been serviced and I can hear them getting quiet as I go.
    Re: the spinning forever I've noticed that if I leave the hubs a bit loose after servicing the bearings they spin for a long time but they wobble when back in the bike. Shame that they have to be tightened but I suppose life is a compromise.
    By the way - some early risers today.
  • Twostage wrote:
    Yup, my Tiagra hubs are whisper quiet. It's a matter of preference, a guy at work loves his DT Swiss hubs, because they make such a racket.
    +1 for the quiet tiagras. Mine only click for a couple of rides after they have been serviced and I can hear them getting quiet as I go.
    Re: the spinning forever I've noticed that if I leave the hubs a bit loose after servicing the bearings they spin for a long time but they wobble when back in the bike. Shame that they have to be tightened but I suppose life is a compromise.
    By the way - some early risers today.

There's a sweet-spot of about 1/16th of a turn of a cone-spanner where the wheels don't wobble and they still spin forever. Well worth persevering.
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208

Remind me never to go on a nice relaxing ride with him with those wheels on, seriously was out with a group the other week and somebody had some that really made our teeth grate, he ended up riding on his own basically.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,680
    prj45 wrote:

Remind me never to go on a nice relaxing ride with him with those wheels on, seriously was out with a group the other week and somebody had some that really made our teeth grate, he ended up riding on his own basically.

I hate those... was out this morning and tagged on to a group of half a dozen. One guy on a very slick Cervelo S3 with deep rim Zipp tubs, which made an awful racket freewheeling like a swarm of bees, a weird noise when braking, and in between when he pedalled, the cleats on his shoes squeaked something awful.

I dropped back after about 3 km, couldn't stand the noise.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    I wish I had a silent freewheel.

No need for noisy freewheels.