£100 (ish) to spend on lights......

mattsaw
mattsaw Posts: 907
edited November 2011 in Commuting chat
,,,,,, front and rear, what would you go for?

Ideally I want to see as well as be seen as some of my commute takes in Richmond Park.
Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
Strava

Comments

• Front - I'd go for an ultrafire torch set up - £50ish

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12660193

Rear - Cateye TL-LD1100 (£28 ) and a TL-LD600 (£15) as a backup

I have two ultrafires up front, one on my helmet and the two cateyes at the rear plus a set of knog frogs!
  • http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=17265285#17265285
    These are the business.

Try RSP Astrum rear lights - cheap and very powerful (twin 0.5W LEDs). Avoid Smart 1/2W or 1W rear lights if you ever ride in the wet.

You can run twin T6 torches up front and twin Astrums on the rear and still have £30ish left over from your budget.
  • mattsaw
    Thanks guys, I've already found some good reviews on the Ultrafire torches so that helps make up my mind.

I take it they come from the US? Have you found shipping to be fast/reliable?
    Strava
  • I bought mine a few years back from deal extreme, Hong Kong, can take up to 4 weeks to arrive.
    The new threads on BR talk of a few other suppliers with slightly quicker shipping, lightmalls and manafont but I dont have experience of these.
  • I get my lighting bits and pieces from Ebay sellers in Hong Kong. You are protected by Ebay's/Paypal's buyer protection policies, so you can't really lose.

Never ordered from Deal Extreme but there are many on here who swear by them.
  • mattsaw
    Cool, I don't mind them taking a while as I have some Cateyes I'm using at the moment.

With the torches recommended above I'm not going to be blinding other road users am I?
    Strava
  • If you shine it in their eyes, yes!
  • Mattsaw wrote:
    With the torches recommended above I'm not going to be blinding other road users am I?

Yes! But then you'll have them angled down slightly.
  • mattsaw
    LOL, I'll make sure I get the mounts fitted correctly, I've been on the other end of a badly angled light in RP a few times.

Do they do any rear lights worth looking at?
    Strava
  • Not that Im aware of, the RSP Astrum seem to be a current favorite of a lot of people...
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Philips LED bike light is the best light if you want to see where you going and to be seen and don't want to blind anyone. Under 100 quid as well.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,122
    I get my lighting bits and pieces from Ebay sellers in Hong Kong. You are protected by Ebay's/Paypal's buyer protection policies, so you can't really lose.

Never ordered from Deal Extreme but there are many on here who swear by them.

Deal extreme good product, but shocking service. But would use them again
  • ince
    ince Posts: 289
    http://www.magicshineuk.co.uk/products/ ... MJ-808LSET
    and
    http://www.magicshineuk.co.uk/products/ ... HTSPLITKIT

For £115. I just bought a rear light set and splitter lead from them. Ordered on a Sunday and had the light on the Wednesday.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Ayup's for the front, RSP Astrum's for the rear. Magic Shine lights are great value for money provided you get one that works, doesn't blow up when you charge it, are happy to solder bits back together and want a pony battery solution. If you want something that quietly sits there and does the job, out-performs the Magic Shine's and should last for years, get the Ayups.

There was a recent feature on BikeRadar on front lights, and the Ayup's won that too.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    The Ayups look interesting, but not without issues.

I've teamed a Magic Shine with an old LED lenser torch (T7) for this year, but would certainly consider both the Philips and the Ayup as a more expensive replacement for the MS, subject to what feedback there is by March on both (or any others).
    Got given a Moon 60 for the rear; first impressions are very good, other than the epilepsy-inducing strobe setting.
  • jinnan_tonnix
    jinnan_tonnix Posts: 78
    edited November 2011
    antfly wrote:
    Philips LED bike light is the best light if you want to see where you going and to be seen and don't want to blind anyone. Under 100 quid as well.

Agreed. Just bought one after reading umpteen reviews. It's specifically engineered for road use, so rather than a ball of light, you have a wide beam with a top cut-off like a car light.

As a comparison, I tested against my MTE SF-23 and a friend's MagicShine, and even on low power, the Philips put out a more useable light where you needed it.

As for rear light, my 1w Blackburn Mars 4 developed a nasty fault after a year, but my Raleigh £10 copy of a Superflash is still performing admirably through thick and thin has hadn't let me down in 3 years.
  • Yep, proper German standard lights: No flashing, but loads of light on the road. The only negative I've heard about the Phillips is that the mounting bracket can shear off. I run a dynamo B&M IQ Cyo, similar idea, loads of light fills the road without much of a hot-spot. Even illumination for about 30m ahead of me.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The AYups are far less bright than the magicshine, can have problems, and cost more.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Get an exposer Flash / Flare / Charger pack and one or two 1w bike light from ebay (like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rolson-61730-Al ... B002NPSOB2).

Much more reliable than the ultra fires, will push out a more than enough light without blinding anyone.

I started out with ultra fires in lock blocks and moved to this solution.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    Personally I'd go for an Exposure Flare on the rear, been using mine for over a year with no problems and it's damn bright. I've just upgraded my cheap far east torch for a Moon X300, a similar level of brightness, far easier to change modes and can be charged from a USB port, great value at £45 from Woolyhatshop.com
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    I've been using a Moon Shield 60 light for the last week and it compares very well with my colleague's Flare. USB charge, so no added expense of rechargeable batteries.
    LAA632.jpg
    3 levels of brightness, strobe and flash modes and £33-45 depending on where you shop.
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    DrLex wrote:
    I've been using a Moon Shield 60 light for the last week and it compares very well with my colleague's Flare. USB charge, so no added expense of rechargeable batteries.
    LAA632.jpg
    3 levels of brightness, strobe and flash modes and £33-45 depending on where you shop.

If I didn't have a flare I'd have got one of those. Moon seem to offer outstanding value for money at the moment, my X300 came with all the charging kit as you'd expect plus a quality helmet mount and feels like a quality piece of kit, top value :lol:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    supersonic wrote:
    The AYups are far less bright than the magicshine, can have problems, and cost more.
    What problems have you seen with them? Early days for mine but a month in and they're going well. The last couple of weeks grotty weather hasn't phased them, including a 30 mile training ride being covered in spray from my ride partners.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,948
    My Ayup's (And my gf's and a mates) are all still going strong after 4 years of use.

Issues within that time:
    1 Charger DOA - replaced immediately
    1 Battery (Out of 6) that would not charge in year two - sent off and replaced under warranty

Apart from that, utterly faultless, through rain and shine, countless commutes between me and my gf, and many off road excursions (On these I also use a pair of retina burning 900 lumen DX torches) - they've been dropped on occasion (Not by me I hasten to add!) but nothing seems to phase them.

Have been looking at their website recently considering going for the upgraded LED's and or upgraded power options.

On my GF's bike she has AYups on the front, and then two of these on the front also ehp216.jpeg

On the rear, currently just using a blackburn 4 on the jacket, but will soon be adding the AYUP headlight mount with the lights pointing rearwards and the red diffuser added, and have just bought her one of these:
    sku_42077_1.jpg
    Ye olde magicshine - just need to fabricate some kind of bracket to get it mounted properly, as the seatpost is obscured.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18