Coloured Tyres? Opinions please...

Tricycleboy
Tricycleboy Posts: 373
edited October 2011 in Commuting chat
Should they match you're frame? or is this a bit naff.

I currently have red centres with white trim and black sidewalls on my tyres- matching a red/ white/ black frame. but i'm starting to have second thoughts. is this cheesy? they're knackered so i'm buying some new ones and am wondering whether just to go black and be done with it.

don't get me started on all white tyres- who are they kidding. its 10 mins of white tyre and 1000miles of manky grubby yellow.

There is also the important factor that having black tyres will reduce my scr rating by 1 point, thusly making my scores a little healthier :wink:

What say you people?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Tyres matching the frame is not a bit naff. It's 100% absolutely no doubt about it totally and definitely uber naff.
    Everyone knows they should match your lipstick.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    Would you be leaving the house without matching shoes and hand bag? oh dear god darling that just would not do!
  • Mate, buy whatever colour tyres you like. It's not that you want matching tyres that is naff - it's that you care what other people might think.
  • cooldad
    No wanting matching tyres is naff. His caring what people think is his first step back to sanity.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • I work in design, and dress like a shambles- i'm not all that bothered what people think when they see me, but i do appreciate when things look good- its more about what i think looks good on my bike (otherwise know as my pride and joy), and what other people think looks good on their bike.

the way bike design is moving, has a more simplistic tyre colour scheme become a bit more necessary to the aesthetically minded, to offset the fact that, IMHO, frames are a lot flashier/ complicated in both shapes and paint than they used to be?

I'm wondering what people do with their bikes- rather than what i should do with mine- although i appreciate the original post sounded a bit like that.

I also appreciate that its for riding rather than looking at, but whats the harm in it looking good- its expensive and i spend a lot of time with it!
  • cooldad
    You are over thinking it. Stick tyres on and ride it.
    It's a bicycle FFS.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    But re reading your post as to what other people do - I put black tyres on my real bike and skinwalls on my retro. Mainly because they were free.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • the way bike design is moving, has a more simplistic tyre colour scheme become a bit more necessary to the aesthetically minded, to offset the fact that, IMHO, frames are a lot flashier/ complicated in both shapes and paint than they used to be?

Lol. That's a lot of words to basically ask "Will people think I'm a c0ck if I run coloured tyres?"

I'm just fecking with you mate. If you're worried about what is cool and what is naff, then personally I'd say that running colour-coordinated tyres smacks a little of "trying too hard", which is never cool. But then, I'm old and Northern and I don't work in design. I think that iPads are naff and pottery shire horses are cool. So what do I know.

I would just reiterate my earlier point. I think the point about being cool is not caring what others think. As you say - it's your bike and it's your pride and joy. Do what you feel.
  • Lol. That's a lot of words to basically ask "Will people think I'm a c0ck if I run coloured tyres?

not really- been running coloured tyres for a year, have yet to have been called a cok out loud for it- just wondering if chilling out the colour scheme, as the opportunity has cropped up, might actually suit better- and wondering what people like to do.
    skinwalls on my retro

i had some skinwalls on an old blue peugeot years ago- thought they looked friggin awesome.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Go for it, but the most important this it to get good tyres. Black goes with everything.

Is running coloured tyres like wearing white football boots? :)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Topaxci
    Topaxci Posts: 106
    I like my coloured tyres and don't care what anyone else thinks. I have yellow tyres on my white road bike along with black/red runs. Clearly matching has never bothered me.
    Though I did get some black slicks with red sidewalls for my similarly coloured MTB yesterday.
    Have a mate who sells nearly every colour under the sun, so our riding group are a fairly colourful bunch when we get together.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,702
    I run coloured tyres on my road bike - to match my kit.

Go for it.

(as long as it's not red & black).

PantaniGalibierSnow98-@PhSptsm.jpg
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    And wear the old Mapei top, too.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Tires should be black.

Sorry but coloured tires just look daft.

Skinwalled tires on a retro bike can look pretty, this is the only exception.
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    white tires have got to be the most pointless thing is existance !
  • se-po
    se-po Posts: 47
    I was using coloured tyres when they weren't cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVmmYMwFj1I

Try black and you will never come back.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Coloured tyres = bike tart - only exception is if you're Italian