Titanium or carbon frame?

rbarcan
rbarcan Posts: 206
edited November 2011 in Road buying advice
I have an Orbea Orca (old design) which I have had for a few years now and thinking of a change.

The Orca (with Campag Record and Neutron wheels) climbs like a dream but can be very twitchy descending especially when windy. I have even had a couple of speed wobbles in the past although that problem seems to have been sorted by changing the stem and bars to Eastons whcih are stiffer than what I had on before.

I ride sportives in the main and I am looking for something that will climb as beautifully as the Orca but which wll also allow me to let go and really enjoy coming down the other side.

Was thinking of titanium rather than carbon this time. What do people think and what would you recommend? There is clearly a weight penalty. For example I have been looking at Enigma and it seems their typical frame would be about 400grms more than my Orca.
Any opinions welcome

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    You don't mention your weight or the types of roads you're riding on which can have a bearing. I have 2 titanium bikes and another on the way, but if you really want to get the most out of your climbing and descending, then expect that a carbon frame suits your needs better. However, where you're wanting all-day comfort and something that'll take all manner of abuse, then the balance swings back in the favour of titanium.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • dcj
    dcj Posts: 395
    hi rbarcan

really the forum is a starting point, but in the end this is a question only you can answer for yourself by test riding different brands.
    remembering that one persons twitchy scary descender may be considered someone elses's responsive perfection.

certainly i don't think you will make your decision any simpler by deciding based on the frame material.

for example, steel is not considered state of the art, or so you would think, but the most precise handling bike i have owned is made of heat-treated columbus niobium spirit steel tubing. it is by far the stiffest frame i have ever owned in 35 years of cycling. this includes steel, carbon and ti frames. it weighs 1 kilo more than my other frames but climbing a local 23% grade out of the saddle it feels lighter. go figure?

frame and fork works as an interactive package. forks play a major part in how a bike feels so this needs consideration in your purchasing process.

but like i said, test ride a few bikes until you find one that gives you what you need. this is the only way to guarantee the result you want.

edit: i agree with montys mention about body weight being key. you want precision on descents, and responsive climbing. these point to a stiff frame. but riding sportives you also might appreciate some all day comfort. if you only weigh 67kg like me then you don't need the same frame as someone who weighs 80kg. to be stiff enough for them, chances are it may shake you to pieces over 100 miles. just my t'pennys worth :D
  • I rode carbon for 20 years - a madone with record most recently - until switching to a condor moda for summer, and a van nicholas for winter with guards and 28c tyres. I love the ti frames and wouldn't go back to carbon. I love climbing too, and am reasonably good at it with a good power to weight ratio and big lung capacity... and irrespective of the weigh penalty, i much prefer the feel of Ti. I also appreciate the durability, when travelling, falling off, or putting in/on the car... I'm pretty sure you wont regret it, or mind the weight penalty... plus the whole frame for life thing
  • solboy
    solboy Posts: 368
    [quote="plus the whole frame for life thing[/quote]

oh no, now you have done it....... :lol:
  • Get what ever you want, I have steel because I suspect it will suffer knocks and road rash a whole lot better. 400 G is not enough to concern you, fit and feel of the bike is far more important.I suspect a very good ascending bike makes a poor descending bike, much like a downhill mtb is impossible to cycle uphill (I know this is an extreme example)
    read this discussion
    http://forums.roadbikereview.com/genera ... 64064.html
    and this one
    http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/2007/08 ... otout.html
  • banditvic
    banditvic Posts: 549
    Another bonus with Titanium you usually get the same for it selling second hand a few years down the line.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    It depends on whether you like the feel of titanium or not. I don't personally, preferring carbon or steel ....
  • milleman
    milleman Posts: 181
    In my limited experience the two materials do produce a different feel, bought a Specialized Roubaix last spring and hated it (my mate bought one and loves it-so each to their own), then bought a Van Nicholas Zephyr which I absolutely adore-fast, responsive and comfy.

As one of the previous replies statde-you really need to try on to decide, but thats easier said then done to find a suitable demo bike.
  • rbarcan
    Thanks all who have replied. To answer an earlier question I weigh about 63 kilos and the roads around here in the Bristol are pretty well surfaced and hilly.

I realise that there is nothing like trying to make the right decision. Anyone know of stockists who keep a good range of titanium and allow test rides?
  • rbarcan wrote:
    Thanks all who have replied. To answer an earlier question I weigh about 63 kilos and the roads around here in the Bristol are pretty well surfaced and hilly.

I realise that there is nothing like trying to make the right decision. Anyone know of stockists who keep a good range of titanium and allow test rides?

Bike Science down on Lewins Mead have Van Nic and Planet X and possibly others and I think allow test rides so could be a good starting point. Went in at the weekend and was much impressed - its well hidden and doesnt have a shop window, so look at their website and map before you go :D

William
  • rbarcan
    [quote="WilliamAC"

Bike Science down on Lewins Mead have Van Nic and Planet X and possibly others and I think allow test rides so could be a good starting point. Went in at the weekend and was much impressed - its well hidden and doesnt have a shop window, so look at their website and map before you go :D

William[/quote

Well you live and learn! Have lived in Bristol for 30 years and thought I knew every bike shop here intimately. Will certainly check out Bike Science which is only round corner from where I work. Many thanks WilliamsAC