Forum home Mountain biking forum The hub

DVD to HD telly

ddraverddraver Posts: 20,379
edited October 2011 in The hub
Evening All

I ve just got a new DVD player and am currently using the supplied jacks to connect it to my telly (you know, the red, white and yellow ones)

It has all the usual connectors on the back of it, so can you tell me if I ll notice the difference using a SCART or even an HDMI cable? I don't own any Blu-ray disks, a fancy surround sound system or get HD telly so DVD's is all it is used for...

Thanks AV geeks!
DaveK
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver

Posts

  • mr_pollmr_poll Posts: 1,612
    Erm I am not really up on AV stuff but as far as I am aware DVD isnt a HD format therefore using HDMI stuff wont make much if any difference. Unless you have a DVD player with upscaler mode then it may make some difference but it dont expect HD/Blu Ray quality.
  • ddraver wrote:
    Evening All

    I ve just got a new DVD player and am currently using the supplied jacks to connect it to my telly (you know, the red, white and yellow ones)

    It has all the usual connectors on the back of it, so can you tell me if I ll notice the difference using a SCART or even an HDMI cable? I don't own any Blu-ray disks, a fancy surround sound system or get HD telly so DVD's is all it is used for...

    Thanks AV geeks!
    DaveK

    In a word yes.

    The yellow cable that carries the picture is the lowest quality connection you can get. (red and white carry sound). Basically the DVD player has to process (compress) to signal to a single analogue stream, the TV then decodes it back. A lot of the picture clarity/quality is lost in this process.

    Scart can transmit in in RGB format but If you're TV can do HDMI then you should use that.

    You don't need to spend silly money on a 'flash' HDMI cable, unless you are a serious AV-phile. I think Tesco do them for about a fiver.
  • ddraverddraver Posts: 20,379
    Ok I see, so any difference between a SCART lead and the jacks?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:
    Ok I see, so any difference between a SCART lead and the jacks?

    Red/White are sound only. Yellow is TV signal. A single Analogue signal

    Scart carries, 3 Analogue signals red, green and Blue, which makes up the picture + the left and right sound channels.

    HDMI is a digital signal. DVD's are digitally devices. Your HD TV is a Digital device. If you use Scart or the yellow cable you are having to convert a digital signal to analogue and back to digital again. Introduces noise etc.

    The HDMI will also carry the digital sound signal from the DVD to the TV. You're TV will probably be able to process this better and the sound quality will improve.
  • ddraverddraver Posts: 20,379
    Excellent answer Stiff! I ll go HDMI cable shopping tomorrow!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • nicklousenicklouse Posts: 81,520 Lives Here
    dont do mad aslong as it has the HDMI Logo it will work.

    very little to tell the diference between a 10 quid one and a 100 quid one.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • redveeredvee Posts: 11,921
    nicklouse wrote:
    dont do mad aslong as it has the HDMI Logo it will work.

    very little to tell the diference between a 10 quid one and a 100 quid one.

    +1, it's a well known fact thatcheap cables are put down in quality by big chains. I'm using a £5 5m HDMI cable from my PC to TV and it does what I want, if I had top end equipment costing £000's then maybe a better cable is needed.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Agreed - all by HDMI cables are cheap ones from tescos or amazon and they do a great job!
    + 1001 posts reset by the cruel cruel moderators!

    Giant Trance X4 (2010)
    Giant SCR 02 (2006)
Sign In or Register to comment.