RIP Jimmy Saville

Cleat Eastwood
Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
edited December 2011 in The bottom bracket
Being reported the dj and bike lover passed away aged 84.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcFE7HEgX3g

Shame.
The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.

Comments

• Little known fact, but the concept of a DJ using twin record decks to provide constant playing music was pioneered by Jimmy Saville.

A true hero to DJ's everywhere. R.I.P.
    Mad as a box of badgers
  • Shame.....did so much for charity and was a good bloke to boot
    Summer - Dolan Tuono with Sram Force and Dura-Ace 7850 CL Carbon wheels
    Winter - old faithful Ribble winter bike
    SugarSync cloud storage referral link (better than DropBox atm imho) https://www.sugarsync.com/referral?rf=mzo2tcrhm5gn
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    No way! RIP!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • legin
    legin Posts: 132
    wow the world has lost yet another great person been a few weeks of it.a great ambassador for various charities rip
  • I will wear my old Sergio Tacchini Shell suit all week as a mark of respect
    1nca
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    RIP. A true eccentric to the end!
  • Just read that he took part in the 1951 Tour of Britain, who knew!
    Mad as a box of badgers
  • iainment
    iainment Posts: 992
    legin wrote:
    wow the world has lost yet another great person been a few weeks of it.a great ambassador for various charities rip

Bye Jimmy you gold tracksuit wearing, cigar smoking, marathon running legend. One of a kind.

BTW who are the others who died over the last few weeks?
    Old hippies don't die, they just lie low until the laughter stops and their time comes round again.
    Joseph Gallivan
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    Sad news :cry:

He was a big supporter of cycling. I remember seeing him at what i think was the Milk Race in the late 80's or early 90's. He was in one of the race official cars stood up with his poking out the sun roof smoking a cigar and wearing the worst tracksuit I'd ever seen.

I've also just read that he he raised £40m for charity :shock: A fantastic achievement.
  • Crispybug wrote:
    Just read that he took part in the 1951 Tour of Britain, who knew!

I did........meet Jim several times throughout the 70's as he was president of NABBA{National Amature Body Building Association} at that time I was a part of the British team...he attended all the prestigious competition's in the UK......R.I.P. Sir Jim
  • R.I.P. Jimmy.

He was a "one off" and just looking at some of the posts here highlight that. I don't think he ever allowed anyone to get too close, and for that reason nobody really knew the real Jimmy Saville.

The world is a poorer place for his passing.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • He was indeed a one off and will be missed - 40 million quid raised for charity speaks for itself.

So who got on Jim'll Fix it then?

I tried and failed.....
  • A few years back me and my mate saw him in Scarborough, leaning against some railings, cigar in hand, a group of silver haired OAPs hanging on his every word. His shell suit was class.

Was a regular at the Rayner dinners too, seemed a top bloke.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    During the war when he got a holiday from the mines he cycled up to Aviemore and back. Quite something on the bikes of the time and during the war!

He always came up here for the walking festival week. Every day he'd pick a house at random, just walk in and ask for a cup to tea! I spoke to him myself a few times and there's a signed pic of him in my local bar.

This is a must watch: Jimmy Saville spoof by Danny Macaskill!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WSsyfjytJA
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • trooperk
    trooperk Posts: 189
    Just saw a clip of him on the BBC news from a documentary about him from a few years back, he was wearing a pair of early Oakley straight jacket with clear prescription lenses, style.
    Specialized-The clitoris of bikes.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Crispybug wrote:
    Just read that he took part in the 1951 Tour of Britain, who knew!

For some reason, I did know that he did it. Apparently he did some cycling commentary for the Milk Race back in the day.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    unixnerd wrote:

Nice.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • nwallace wrote:
    unixnerd wrote:

Nice.

Yip, cracking video.....
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Louis Theroux tried to find out who Jimmy Saville was but largely failed as he was such a secretive person. Maybe Jimmy directly or indirectly experienced profound tragedy or trauma in his early life? Who knows, maybe JS didn't even know himself? He was a superb ambassador for many charities and sports as has been said raising millions. Then there was the special hopsital unit at Stoke Mandeville in Bucks which did pioneering work back in the day with his backing, it may still do, JS was instrumental in it's success. Then there was TOTP ............. and Jim I'll Fix It which was ditched by the BBC in favour of the awful Noel Edmonds and Mr frikin' Blobby.

A top humble bloke who really cared. RIP. A few cigar makers are going to go bust now :wink: .
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • Richard_D
    Richard_D Posts: 320
    RIP. A true showman. I was up in Fort William when the highland Games were on a few years ago. He was in the parade through the town and made sure every passerby got a wave and a smile
  • Sold a bike to Sir Jimmy about 4 years ago, an old Oscar Egg, aparently he had one he got when he was 17 that he rode in races after the war, he used to be one of the best amatuers in the UK back in the day (no pro's back in those days), told me he started riding for charity but the media kept missing him go by so he got off and walked, so then decided to walk for charity instead to make it easier to talk to the media, he was always a cycling enthusiast and said he followed all the races and was up to date on all the names and successes of todays riders.
    A great man who shall be missed. R.I.P. Jimmy.