michelin pro3 race problems?!

brabus
brabus Posts: 138
edited October 2011 in Road buying advice
anyone had problems with the shoulder/wall developing a split on pro race 3?

had the tyres over 12 mths but havent used them till recently ...couple hundred miles - they still have the little hairs on them! (had been using ultremo r1s until they delaminated with the common fault!!)

as Elvis said ...."you ever have one of those days huh huh!"

pouring rain gale force winds riding buddies backed out. set off half mile from house and bizarrely my cateye double cadence head unit popped out its cradle on a bump and a car ran over it!!! never had that happen before and been sitting there for months no probs!! compeletely smashed! found his little carcass lying on the white lines! :cry:

cycled into a strong headwind for about 20 miles time to head home motoring downhill then heard a loud bang from the rear tyre! flat number one! couldnt see anything protruding into the tyre thought must be a faulty inner tube soaking wet and cold by this time changed the tyre new inner tube. cycled another mile or so tube deflated! flat number 2! still couldnt see what was causing the puncture so couldnt risk my second spare tube!

miles from home out in the country and had to give a guy in a pick up truck £10 to run me back! gonna take up jogging i think!! :lol:

when i got home i discovered under inflation a split in the tyre wall which is damaging the tubes!

is this a known fault?

cheers

Comments

• nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Why could you not 'risk your second spare tube' when the only other option was a £10 truck fare home - even if it only got you another mile down the road, the fare back might have only been £9 by then :lol:

I run PR3s on my bikes and never have any major issues with them (although they are clearly a race tyre rather than a hardy winter commuter)

Think that I have read about sidewall problems though never experienced them myself.
  • brabus
    good point!

i guessed i would just do that tube in as well ....and it cost me £3 so with the £1 differential i had £2 to put towards my new cateye with the pick up truck guy! :lol:
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Yeah twice. Once 5 miles from the end of an 80 mile sportive and once after 200 m of a race that I had traveled an hour and a half to get to. I managed to finish the sportive by under inflating the tire so that the inner tube didnt bulge out too much. I had used PRO-3 for a year before this with no problems. I have used them this year with no problems. I think there must have been a bad batch.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • brabus
    thanks

if it could be attributable to a bad batch i wonder if its worth contacting michelin. anyone tried?

not sure if their after sales service will be anywhere near as good as schwalbe who were excellent in their handling of the r1 issues to give credit where it is due!
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    Not with a ProRace but with A Michelin Krylion that was only a week old. Had exactly the same thing happen. I sent the tyre back to Chain Reaction and they just replaced it. The replacement has been fine.