Putting in new discs and wheels

samsbike
samsbike Posts: 942
edited October 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I am thinking of putting in new discs and wheels on my mtb.

Is it a straight swap or do I need to adjust calipers etc. The same disc size is going on.

thanks

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You will probably have to adjust the calipers.
  • bigpee
    bigpee Posts: 205
    You'll probably find you need to adjust the lateral position of your calipers as the rotor will probably not be in exactly the same place along the axle. With the bike on a stand or upside-down spin each wheel to check it spins freely. If it doesn't loosen the two bolts on the caliper (remember lateral ones so that the caliper can now move along the direction of the axle) and spin the wheel. It should now spin freely since the caliper will now be in the right position. Keeping it in this position the bolts can now be tightened.
    Current bikes:
    Norco Sight 3 SE (on order)
    Specialized Allez 2010

Old bikes:
    Commencal META 55 custom build (Stolen :( )
    Boardman HT Comp 2010
    GT Avalance 1.0 2006(ish)
  • samsbike
    samsbike Posts: 942
    Is there a guide with pics somewhere?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yes, your brake instructions! Download the manual, or see Park Tools.
  • poolboy
    poolboy Posts: 69
    yes I have 2 sets of wheels both built on Hope Pro 2s, same Avid rotors but clad in different tyres.

I swap them over q frequently but always have to adjust the calipers, 1 end I think the front is ok, rear one always a bit out.

Its good practice anyway to clean everything up while you are doing it.

Theres a good Youtube vid of it.
  • you could alsoloosen the 2 lateral bolts off as mentioned above and then pull the brake levera couple of times then hold it on whilst tightning the bolts back up to get the calipers and discs aligned