Oxo Posts: 144
edited December 2011 in Your road bikes
IMG_1912.jpg
IMG_1913.jpg
IMG_1915.jpg
IMG_1918.jpg
IMG_1920.jpg

Frame: Kinesis Racelight T2 (57mm)
Forks: Columbus Tusk Light (1:1/8" Carbon Steerer)
Bars: Deda Newton Shallow 31.7mm 7074 T6 Triple Butted (44cm Wide)
Stem: Deda Zero 100 (110mm)
Spacers: Chinese/EBay
Headset: Neco
Bar Tape: Fizik Microtex

Levers: Campagnolo Record Ultra Ergo 10 (2009?)
Brake Calipers: Ambrosio Momentum "Long Drop"
Brake Cartridges: Swisstop Race Pro Green

Cables: Campagnolo Ultrashift and Powershift Gear/Brake Cable Set (White) CG-ER600W
Front Mech: Campagnolo Chorus 10 QS 32mm clamp-on
Rear Mech: Campagnolo Centaur 10 Medium Cage Carbon (2010 NOS)

Seat: Charge Spoon
Seat Post: American Classic 27.2mm

Chainset: Campagnolo Chorus Ultra Drive EPS 53/39 10 Speed 170mm crank (2009?)
Chain: Campagnolo Veloce (2011)
Cassette: Campagnolo Veloce 10 13/29 (2011)
Pedals: Look 357 (to be upgraded to Look Keo Max next week!)
Bottom Bracket: Campagnolo Chorus 1.370 x 24T 102mm (2009?)

Wheel Rims: Ambrosio Excellight SSC 32H
Spokes: DT Swiss (double-taper)
Hubs: Ambrosio Zenith
Tubes: Continental
Tires: Continental GP4000S (25mm)

Accessories: Chinese/EBay bottle cages
Deda "Dog Fang"

Weight: 8.69Kg (minus pedals & bottle cages)

May I present my newly assembled and very first road bike.

I've just spent a year cycling in all weathers clocking up some enormous mileage in order to get from an ugly, fat, unfit, 16 1/2 stone 45 year old to an er, ugly 12 stone but physically fit MAMIL. Up to now I've been riding a Marin Novato (aka the black boat anchor) which has seen me through the worst the British weather could chuck at me in grand style. I've been hankering after a nice light road bike after having a blast on a borrowed one earlier in the year, my old hybrid just seemed so slow and ponderous after that. Having two young children, the usual bills and other expensive hobbies, getting another bike purchase past the Wife looked unlikely...so I hatched a cunning plan! I've been smuggling bits of bike into a big box under the stairs. Helped by a number of some very generous "roadie" mates with spare kit, some patient bidding on EBay, classifieds on here and waiting for special offers on-line I've managed to put this bike together.

I live in a reasonably steep valley on the edge of the Cotswolds, and although the roads take me through some beautiful countryside, they are often in very poor shape. And did I mention steep? My focus on this build was to make a robust reliable bike with lightweight but very strong wheels, bomb-proof hubs and gearing appropriate for the local terrain and my level of fitness/ancient knees. I also want to have a dabble with Audax and a few 100 mile plus challenges from next spring. I've tried to go for the best "bang for my buck" wherever possible. Always wanted a shiny Campagnolo groupset on my bike since I was a kid, hence the break from the usual.

I originally planned to put the bike together myself, but knowing how ham-fisted I am with anything requiring anything a bit of patience or mechanical skill, I entrusted the finishing to my local (genius) bike mechanic, Jon at Delta Bikes in Dursley.

Apologies for the state of the old pedals. The stem, saddle and bars need a certain amount of "fettling" before it's shake-down run tomorrow :)
Sunday Best: 2013 Colnago Master 30th Anniversary
Foul Weather: 2010 Kinesis Racelight T2
Commuter: 1958 Holdsworth Zephyr Fixed Gear

Comments

• I like it, old skool look with some modern touches (the carbon finishing).

I'm sure the weight will fall off!
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    That's a very nicely done job there, with some well thought out kit. Who built the wheels for you?
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Nice bike and a great write up

Not super bling but quality and well thought out.

Enjoy :)
  • Oxo
    Phew, thanks, glad you think it looks OK - I was really nervous about posting pictures up here :lol:

My wheels were built up by the same place that assembled my bike, namely Delta Bikes, Dursley in deepest Gloucestershire. I did weigh them and from memory they came in at about 1800g for the pair - not superlight by any means but much of the weight is from those lovely Zenith hubs rather than the rims. The plan is that they are a decent compromise between lightness, strength and reliability - only time will tell!
  • jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    nice bike oxo - I laughed when I read about your 'big box under the stairs' and the whole story echoed my T2 build up . Takes time but it's quite satisfying to have it take shape over a few weeks and not cost a bomb. The daft thing is, when I finished the bike (in so far as any custom bike is 'finished') I was so addicted to the process and reluctant to get my pride and joy too grubby as a daily commuter, that I bought another frame and did the whole thing again on an absolute shoestring... but that's another story

What do you reckon your total cost came to?

Here's mine:

IMAG0683.jpg

Joe
  • Oxo
    That's a cracker too Joe, congrats. Which wheels are those?

Spent much more than I had planned to be honest, but it was over a long(ish) period so at least didn't seem too painful. When finished (!) I reckon I would have spent about £1200+* but it's absolutely to my specification with no compromise anywhere. I’ve only ridden about 75 miles so far, but I've grinned like a loony each yard!.

All the best

Oxo

*I really hope my Wife doesn’t read this!
  • jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    Cheers, the wheels are from a previous bike and are planet x rims on lovely 2004 dura ace hubs. The rims are a bit plain but the wheels were well built and roll very nicely. I've thought of having the hubs rebuilt onto some fancier rims but it's not really a priority.

A word of caution about the spoon saddle - which I had when the photo was taken - I found that the stitching was wearing my lycra shorts so I changed it for a prologo nago. Just keep an eye on it, might have been the particular saddle I had.

Re:cost - I kept a running total up to a point, then abandoned it but I might go back and recalculate
  • Sorry for the gravedig. :P

Very nice build. How do you find the carbon fork?

I have SRAM Apex brakes, and now I'm wondering whether they'll fit :?.

Nice weight too. Mine should be similar, but didn't realise it could be just over 8.5 kilos! That's pretty light.

Look on my signature for my T2 build thread. :)