Newbie Commuting Bike

Cmcgui26
Cmcgui26 Posts: 6
edited October 2011 in Commuting general
Hi guys!

I'm looking for some advice with regards to getting a bike for commuting to and from London City (approx 11miles per day each way).

I understand that a hybrid i likley to be my best option in term of a good riding position and also offering value for money and reliability as it will be relied upon 5days/week.

I also intend to take advantage of my company's cycle-to-work poicy however this means that my bike will need to be bought from Evans Cycles which slightly limit my options.

In terms of budget, I'm looking at around £700 as a maximum. The bike will also be kept at home or within work so security shouldn't be an issue.

Initially, I had conidered a single speed however I have been advised that a standard hybrid may be better suited to my needs.

To this, I have conidered various options including the Cannondale 'Bad Boy'/'Quick' and also the Bianchi 'Camaleonte' ranges.

I have also been advised that Jamis may offer some models worthy of consideration.

Can you please offer any opinions, both wih regards to the aforementioned models but also to any other models that people would or would not recommend.

Thanks in advance guys,
Chris

Comments

• apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I concluded that the lightest and best was the Boardman Team - often with 10% off at Halfrauds. Very fast and racy bike and I am now in love with mine.

Also considered and liked (but not enough to choose them) were the Whyte Portobello and the Specialized Sirrus Comp from Evans.

You should also look at the Giant Rapid 3 - this is much more a road bike with flat bars so might not be what you are looking for but it is very light and fast.

Carbon forks will make a massive difference to the ride quality.

On-one do some steel bikes that are likely to be much smoother rides than alu ones but I think they may be just above your budget.

Hope that helps... Have fun trying some!
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    The Boardman Hybrid Team seems to hit all the right notes.
    Disk brakes give all-weather performance and are located for compatibility with a luggage rack. Check if is sufficient tyre clearance for your widest winter tyre. Basic weight is 21lbs which is very reasonable.
    Budget for lights, mudguards, rack, lock, helmet, pedals and some kit to wear. The stock tyres seem to be good enough for reliable commuting.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Front of the boardman will take as wide a tyre as you want. I am sure the rear will take 32c and I think it will do so with mudguards (I have bought some 32c and a set of guards which I havent fitted to try this yet). I have also bought some 35c to experiment and see if these fit the rear - if they dont I may still use them up front when I want more comfort. Just bought some cheapish 32/35 tyres to experiment with but actually I have found the original tyres are pretty good so havent bothered to fit the new ones yet.
  • Thanks for your replys guys. The deal offered by my work retricts us to Evans though o a Boardman is out of the question, very nice bikes though and certainly good value for money!!

Thanks again for your opinions though!
  • essjaydee
    essjaydee Posts: 917
    Hi

Sorry but can't comment on the bikes you suggested, bu I have recently bought a hybrid through the C2W scheme, not through Evans though.

I went for a hybrid as I thought the more upright geometry, disc brakes and wider tyres would be far better suited to the potholed commute I do. So far so good and it does exactly want I want it to.

Will this be your only cycling activity, or do you have thoughts of a weekend ride also :?:

I ask because I know find myself wanting a road bike for weekend outings, so am now looking to spend another wad of cash. Hindsight is a wonderful thing eh :!:

Also as another poster suggest budget some money for the other kit you will need. I spent another £150 initially, and probably another £150 since then on gear and clothing. Initially you will need pump, lightset, spare tubes, allen key set, tyre levers, puncture repair kit, something to carry it in, waterproof jacket, waterproof overshoes, waterproof gloves, thermal tights and several changes of base layers & socks to see you through the week. Oh and a helmet, should you wish. Mudguards are a godsend to.

Won't recommend a Boardman as I read your post plus I don't have one myself :wink:

Hope my post helps you decide what to spend your money on wisely and what to budget for, and I'm sure it won't be long before you are a Wiggle Gold member too :lol:

Good luck and enjoy it