Eventful ride home today.

shouldbeinbed
shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
edited October 2011 in Commuting chat
I hit one squirrel & gave it a good stunning, missed another by inches and had a complete Darwin moment on a sharp bend, I completely forgot to slow my pedalling or brake until the last minute, just made it.

Comments

• Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Got to love those suicidal squirrels
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Queue stock photo of squirrel stuck in a wheel with broken spokes :lol:
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    I had a squirrel incident a couple of weeks ago. One dropped out of the sky about two feet in front of me having just come unattached from a Red Kite about a foot above it. Nearly needed a new pair of bibs after that...
    FCN 3 / 4
  • essjaydee
    essjaydee Posts: 917
    Gussio wrote:
    Queue stock photo of squirrel stuck in a wheel with broken spokes :lol:

Not quite but close :lol: (sorry couldn't resist :oops: )

http://nonaurban.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/suicide-squirrel1.jpg
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I missed a suicidal rabbit by a hare's breadth on wednesday, not what you want when trying to get a 20mph ave for 2 miles.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Multiple rabbits, few cats and a.fox on the ride out this evening. None close enough to the wheels to be described as anything like a near miss, but a lot more than I see on my usual routes.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • bunter
    bunter Posts: 327
    redvee wrote:
    I missed a suicidal rabbit by a hare's breadth on wednesday, not what you want when trying to get a 20mph ave for 2 miles.

please, no...
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    bunter wrote:
    redvee wrote:

please, no...

This forum is full of bad puns. You're best advised to leveret go.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    bunter wrote:
    redvee wrote:

please, no...

This forum is full of bad puns. You're best advised to leveret go.
    Or pika different forum
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Had a fun commute on Thursday night, got a blowout on the front wheel when I was doing 25 on a main road, hit a drain and somersaulted over the bars. Bit of a smack on the road on my left side, elbow, shoulder and knee all a bit sore, but it could have been worse - bike was fine, but new tights required.

Sorry to rabbit on and get in the way of the puns. :wink:
  • Ha ha

Haven't read anything so bunny in ages
  • A long time ago in a galaxy far away I was a research scientist. Cycling into the lab one day, I caught up with a mate who had just run over a suicidal squirrel, stopped and gathered it up in a plastic bag to take into the lab. Two years later he published a paper that compared the DNA sequence of something or other in frogs, rabbits and, er, squirrels.

He probably got a research grant and all.
    edited October 2011
    Hit the muntjac and don't ya come back no more no more no more no more, hit the muntjac and doncha come back no more.. 8)
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Got to love those suicidal squirrels

Almost as much as the suicidal cyclists...
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • MarcBC
    MarcBC Posts: 333
    xsnoopx wrote:
    Hello everyone I am new to this forum. Please get well.

:lol:
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    I rode out from work, just hit the top corner of traf square and saw some bloke seriously twatting up another bloke who was just trying to fend off the blows. Went over to break it apart, but the guy with the fists lumped me in the face. Fisty guy wrestled to the floor by two armed offices, me off to the police station to make a statement.

Whilst in the police station waiting for an ambulance to check me over I decided to unscrew the two tiny screws to try and take off the cracked cover of the indicator bit on my shifters (cracked it the day before by jamming my bike under the back of a flat bed lorry that stopped dead in front of me, twat that I am), heard a plink plink as one of the screws hit the floor, and spent the next 20 minutes trying to find it, bending over with a really sore head, which I never did.

Massive great bruise this morning on my lower jaw, can't eat properly and I each time I pull my brake levers I have to looked down and see a hole where the screw I'll never be able to replace was, my indiator windows will fill with water I'm sure.

I'm just off down the pub to see what else can happen to me this week!
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    prj45 wrote:
    I rode out from work, just hit the top corner of traf square and saw some bloke seriously twatting up another bloke who was just trying to fend off the blows. Went over to break it apart, but the guy with the fists lumped me in the face. Fisty guy wrestled to the floor by two armed offices, me off to the police station to make a statement.

Whilst in the police station waiting for an ambulance to check me over I decided to unscrew the two tiny screws to try and take off the cracked cover of the indicator bit on my shifters (cracked it the day before by jamming my bike under the back of a flat bed lorry that stopped dead in front of me, fool that I am), heard a plink plink as one of the screws hit the floor, and spent the next 20 minutes trying to find it, bending over with a really sore head, which I never did.

Massive great bruise this morning on my lower jaw, can't eat properly and I each time I pull my brake levers I have to looked down and see a hole where the screw I'll never be able to replace was, my indiator windows will fill with water I'm sure.

I'm just off down the pub to see what else can happen to me this week!

Ouch. I hpoe you feel better soon, but in my mind, I'm seeing this:
    boxing-hares_1820971i.jpg
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!