Felt F3 - £2200 on Wiggle. Bargain?

Bi50N
Bi50N Posts: 87
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
First post in the Road section, I'm normally found in Commuting with the riff-raff. Hi!

So I know very little about road bikes, other than I want one for some personal challenges I've set myself next year. Budget in my head of around £1500, and was thinking maybe a Focus 2.0 based on what I've read..

Then I noticed Wiggle now selling the 2011 Felt F3 for £2200 (RRP supposedly £3800). All SRAM Red kit.

Tried to do some research - I gather the 2010 was very well received, but this is a totally new frame... Can't see any reviews. Have noted the bike was recalled in the US due to fork issues...

Any owners / knowledgeable folk who can comment? Is this bike any good? Is this a good deal?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/felt-f3-2011

Comments

• Are you sure you want a bike that weighs 6.5 Kg? That's under UCI minimum allowed weight... The frame is paper thin and will not survive a crash... there is a serious possibility that it will not survive if you accidentally drop it... the fork recall issue is somewhat frightening

Probably an excellent machine uphill, but I'd be terrified when descending at 50 mph on that thing... I would put safety first and stick to something that weighs a little more.... matter actually matters!
    left the forum March 2023
  • noodleman
    noodleman Posts: 852
    Yeah! And if it rains it will go soggy like cardboard.
    Sounds like a great deal to me. Can't see wiggle selling dangerous bikes.
    If its your size and you appreciate what the bike is built for, get it.
    Don't agree with the idea that it's weak and scrap if you drop it at all.
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • Bi50N
    I saw Bikeradar have reviewed the entry level F5 - 9/10

The F3 is apparently the same frame but with better wheels and components...
  • Are you sure you want a bike that weighs 6.5 Kg? That's under UCI minimum allowed weight... The frame is paper thin and will not survive a crash... there is a serious possibility that it will not survive if you accidentally drop it... the fork recall issue is somewhat frightening

Probably an excellent machine uphill, but I'd be terrified when descending at 50 mph on that thing... I would put safety first and stick to something that weighs a little more.... matter actually matters!

The fork recall thing wasnt due to breaking forks, felt just saw some flex in forks that they didnt like so they swapped them out for easton or enve units. This, in my opinion, shows how seriously felt take quality control. They passed ALL euro and stateside safety tests so felt didnt need to change them over, they CHOSE to.

In regard to the lightweight frame, it is an odd comment. The frame is light because of the manufacturing process, not because they are cutting corners. I have a felt f2 - slightly lighter frame than the f3 as the inside out tech is used throughout and not just on the rear triangle. Ive thrown it into corners at high speed, its the most secure, planted bike ive ever ridden - its superb.

Vincenzo Nibali is pretty handy at descending and takes risks on a frame significantly lighter than the Felt, sorry, I just dont agreee with your comment.

My thoughts, I dont like wiggle - they are the death of the local bike shop that most cyclists will need to use at some point but you can argue with that price, hell of a deal!
  • sopworth
    sopworth Posts: 191
    For what it's worth.....

I have a Felt F3 (2010 model in white and blue) and it's just brilliant. I also have an older Bianchi and prefer the Felt. Living in south Leicestershire, it's easy for me with the Felt running a double, as apposed to a compact, so I use the Bianchi for hilly sportives and weeks in Wales.

Don't use Wiggle though - there will be many a LBS that have an F3 in and will do a price match for you.

Size wise, I'm 6ft spot on and bought a 56'' Felt. It's a very racey position though.

Hope that helps.
  • kfinlay
    kfinlay Posts: 763
    Are you sure you want a bike that weighs 6.5 Kg? That's under UCI minimum allowed weight... The frame is paper thin and will not survive a crash... there is a serious possibility that it will not survive if you accidentally drop it... the fork recall issue is somewhat frightening

Hasn't even tried one yet thinks it will be unsafe :roll: plenty pro bikes weigh less than the UCI limit but don't see pro riders falling off under all these paper thin frames.
    talk about p!$$ing in the pool of knowledge!
    Kev

Summer Bike: Colnago C60
    Winter Bike: Vitus Alios
    MTB: 1997 GT Karakorum
  • Bi50N
    Thanks for all the responses, shame about the forum downtime...

I think Wiggle realised it was a bargain as they've bumped the price back up by £600.

But it sounds like the bike itself has a few fans, so I'll see what I can find locally... Realistically not expecting to buy until the spring now, unless I see an amazing end of season / line sale
  • My Felt F3 2011 arrived from Wiggle last week.

feltf3.jpg

I'd been watching the price fluctuating and pitched in when it dropped to £2,280.

Out of the box it weighed 6.94kg - thats the 58cm version. Now 7.19kg with pedals, bottle cages and nice red titanium skewers.

Be aware though that it's £300 shy of being all SRAM Red components - look carefully at the spec - the brake calipers, cassette and chain are from much lower down the SRAM range.

The forks are the proper nano straight ones, not the Eastons shown in Wiggle's image of it and both they and the seatstays feel very strong to me - you can't deform them by hand.

Only had a couple of rides but it feels brilliantly fast, comfortably and steady. Even the saddle is OK so far.

I dont have any concerns around its safety although the tyres and tubes are little more than rubberised paper - I had a puncture in the lounge! - can't see them lasting long before stronger items get fitted.

The frame is very well finished. It feels eggshell thin in places but I'm sure its structurally sound for cycling - although one drop on a kerbstone could be the end of it.

Its maybe a little big for me so have replaced the stem with a 20mm shorter non-Felt version.

I dont know how or why its so much faster than my £1K ally bike but there it is.

CD
  • state
    state Posts: 8
    Dear charliedelta
    can i ask what height you are and how you find reach on the 58 frame . I was thinking of getting a 58 in F series but they seem awfully long?
    cheers
  • Sure

I'm just a bit over 5ft 11in.

If anything I have longer body and arms with shorter legs (don't we all!)

Measuring off the '58' felt its 57cm horizontally from centre seatpost to centre steerer tube. Then 12cm stem.
    Thats a total of 69cm and too long for me.

My '56' ally bike is 54cm + 10cm = 64cm - a bit short and cramped.

So I swapped the stems giving me 67cm on the felt and 66cm on the ally bike. Then moved the felt saddle forward a cm so effectively 66cm.

Maybe I would have been better off with the Felt '56' but I'm happy with the '58' - its probably got a longer wheelbase making it a bit more stable.

Hope that helps.

CD
  • My Felt F3 2011 arrived from Wiggle last week.

feltf3.jpg

I'd been watching the price fluctuating and pitched in when it dropped to £2,280.

Out of the box it weighed 6.94kg - thats the 58cm version. Now 7.19kg with pedals, bottle cages and nice red titanium skewers.

Be aware though that it's £300 shy of being all SRAM Red components - look carefully at the spec - the brake calipers, cassette and chain are from much lower down the SRAM range.

The forks are the proper nano straight ones, not the Eastons shown in Wiggle's image of it and both they and the seatstays feel very strong to me - you can't deform them by hand.

Only had a couple of rides but it feels brilliantly fast, comfortably and steady. Even the saddle is OK so far.

I dont have any concerns around its safety although the tyres and tubes are little more than rubberised paper - I had a puncture in the lounge! - can't see them lasting long before stronger items get fitted.

The frame is very well finished. It feels eggshell thin in places but I'm sure its structurally sound for cycling - although one drop on a kerbstone could be the end of it.

Its maybe a little big for me so have replaced the stem with a 20mm shorter non-Felt version.

I dont know how or why its so much faster than my £1K ally bike but there it is.

CD

Can you fit a kitchen sink in that saddle bag?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Can you fit a kitchen sink in that saddle bag?

I thought that... take a nice looking bike and hang a bloody great big handbag off it :)
  • Glad I didn't show the picture with the bigger bag I put on the front!
  • Guyzie
    Guyzie Posts: 79
    Further to CharlieDelta's post about sizing for state.
    I'm the proud owner of a new F2 and loving it!
    I have a 58 with the std supplied stem (forget size atm). I'm 6' 2" and a bit, maybe 6' 3", with a 34 inside leg.
    I've done about 300 miles with things set up to my best guess/old bike and then last week had a bikefit (part of the deal) which just tweaked things a little. All good.
    Only thing I might change is the saddle, getting numb nuts, but otherwise I'm well pleased :-)
  • state
    Thanks for info guyzie
    Im 5 " 11 with 34" inseam . Dealers are telling me a 58 is my size for Felt F series. However online info and even felt website would suggest a 56 is more accurate? Id be interested in any other similar sized felt owners opinions/advice.
    thanks!
  • BOWN
    BOWN Posts: 2
    To answer the question whether to buy this bike and the size. I too had been looking for a good deal this autumn, and when i saw the Felt F3 at £2,260 (-40%) on Wiggle I snapped it up after doing a quick websearch on the technology, wheels and reviews. Wiggle wanted to charge me an additional £1,000 to have it delivered in France (plus the €19 freight) so I picked it up in the UK and brought it over myself.
    Firstly regarding sizing - I followed the Wiggle sizing chart. Am 1metre 85 ( only just under 6 ft) with a seam length of 33inches (or ~34inches full leg length). I was nervous about the sizing, particularly when I opened the box to find that Felts 58cm measure was the one along the top tube as opposed to the traditional 58cm up the rear tube! (see Felt label on bracket). Having said that with the saddle correctly positioned it fits me perfectly - the only difference with my custom measured/built Casati MU2 were the stem/handlebars being 1.5cm higher ( I can adjust this down2cm if necessary). So all in all the Wiggle measuring system suited me fine.
    In terms of appearance - and close up inspection - superb! Really nicely finished ( bar a few minor adjustments to derailler etc). Only criticism is the finish is mat, so careful with the mat white finish sections and grease! I need to find the most effective cleaning fluid.
    Having just recovered from injury I took my Felt F3 for its first ride last weekend (50k). Again I cannot fault it. Light, very rigid, beautiful rolling performance and also taking out virtually all of the road vibration too. Felt saddle was comfortable so far..
    All I can say at this early stage is - I am overjoyed with the purchase.The quality is there, only time will tell with the reliability. The SRAM wheels spin perfectly, and there is the bearing adjustments ensure this over time.
    In summary, even at the price of £2,600 I think this is an excellent deal (the F2 also looks tempting on Chain Reaction). Just make sure with the internet companies that;
    >you keep your eyes open for the deals. Check to see if the offer price changes when you order delivery between countries, and also check whether cheaper to pay in Euros or Sterling against your card exchange rate. Finally, I have consoled my local dealer with some significant purchases on carbon bottle cages, speedplay pedals etc so he is now reimbursed/happy to do the servicing.
    I will give an update on this Felt F3 in a few months if anyone asks for it, or if I have problems (which I doubt)
  • BOWN
    BOWN Posts: 2
    state wrote:
    Thanks for info guyzie
    Im 5 " 11 with 34" inseam . Dealers are telling me a 58 is my size for Felt F series. However online info and even felt website would suggest a 56 is more accurate? Id be interested in any other similar sized felt owners opinions/advice.
    thanks!

I am your size and followed the Wiggle guidelines to buy the 58cm. I fell bang in the middle of their guidelines for this size. I would say the 58cm would fit you well in height and reach- unless you want a really racy position with the handlebars lower down.
  • I bought one from wiggle for £2280 a couple of weeks ago .Without wishing to sound like a cycling plus review, I've found it to be an amazing ride, super stiff, yet still comfortable,(do I need to throw in "vertically compliant" here?) and just glides over all the crap road surfaces we do so well here in Worcestershire. These massive BB,s & head tubes, & chain stays that are de rigeur these days really transfer the power to the road, and it accelerates & climbs beautifully. The Sram wheels are just superb, in fact I will probably keep them for race days, at least 'till the novelty wears off, and the Red gruppo is very good, the double tap system takes a little getting used to, but is very positive, and the gears drop in to place with the sort of solid clunk that campy fans already know & love.
    On sizing, it's worth noting these bikes have a short head tube, at 5'9" and a 31" inseam, Felt's own, size guide suggested a 54" for my height which would have a 12cm head tube, I opted for a 56" which has a 14cm head tube and only adds 17mm to the top tube length, the top cap of the stem is at 89cm measured vertically from the ground and I have 13cm of seat stem exposed . It's a beautiful piece of kit, and would recommend it to anyone considering buying one, especially if wiggle do the 40% discount again!
  • state
    BOWN wrote:
    To answer the question whether to buy this bike and the size. I too had been looking for a good deal this autumn, and when i saw the Felt F3 at £2,260 (-40%) on Wiggle I snapped it up after doing a quick websearch on the technology, wheels and reviews. Wiggle wanted to charge me an additional £1,000 to have it delivered in France (plus the €19 freight) so I picked it up in the UK and brought it over myself.
    Firstly regarding sizing - I followed the Wiggle sizing chart. Am 1metre 85 ( only just under 6 ft) with a seam length of 33inches (or ~34inches full leg length). I was nervous about the sizing, particularly when I opened the box to find that Felts 58cm measure was the one along the top tube as opposed to the traditional 58cm up the rear tube! (see Felt label on bracket). Having said that with the saddle correctly positioned it fits me perfectly - the only difference with my custom measured/built Casati MU2 were the stem/handlebars being 1.5cm higher ( I can adjust this down2cm if necessary). So all in all the Wiggle measuring system suited me fine.
    In terms of appearance - and close up inspection - superb! Really nicely finished ( bar a few minor adjustments to derailler etc). Only criticism is the finish is mat, so careful with the mat white finish sections and grease! I need to find the most effective cleaning fluid.
    Having just recovered from injury I took my Felt F3 for its first ride last weekend (50k). Again I cannot fault it. Light, very rigid, beautiful rolling performance and also taking out virtually all of the road vibration too. Felt saddle was comfortable so far..
    All I can say at this early stage is - I am overjoyed with the purchase.The quality is there, only time will tell with the reliability. The SRAM wheels spin perfectly, and there is the bearing adjustments ensure this over time.
    In summary, even at the price of £2,600 I think this is an excellent deal (the F2 also looks tempting on Chain Reaction). Just make sure with the internet companies that;
    >you keep your eyes open for the deals. Check to see if the offer price changes when you order delivery between countries, and also check whether cheaper to pay in Euros or Sterling against your card exchange rate. Finally, I have consoled my local dealer with some significant purchases on carbon bottle cages, speedplay pedals etc so he is now reimbursed/happy to do the servicing.
    I will give an update on this Felt F3 in a few months if anyone asks for it, or if I have problems (which I doubt)

Hi Bown
    Just to clarify my sizing - you say your 1.85 m which is almost 6'1" (not 5'11") and i presume you mean the saddle was moved maximally forward? ps didnt understand the handlebar bit!
    thanks
  • Bi50N
    Thanks for all the feedback and comments, I've had a few helpful pm's too. Much appreciated.
  • macroadie
    macroadie Posts: 172
    Bi50N wrote:
    I saw Bikeradar have reviewed the entry level F5 - 9/10

The F3 is apparently the same frame but with better wheels and components...
    I've owned couple of bikes and the F5 is my all time best bike.
  • Mark Alexander
    Mark Alexander Posts: 2,277
    I have a 2009 F3 and it's been awesome. Been in a couple of crashes cars hitting me. It's been an awesome bike and continues to outr perform its owner.
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    It lives, IT LIVES........ :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Rolf F wrote:
    It lives, IT LIVES........ :lol:

But strangely the link to the bike on Wiggle no longer works... I fell for it yesterday :roll: