Commuting Variables

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited October 2011 in Commuting chat
My commute is pretty quiet but I do pass the same characters most days. The thing that always amazes me and struck me again this morning is how I pass the same people coming the other way at almost exactly the same spot (give or take 50m) every day. I'm not even particularly punctual at leaving and have covered 13 miles before I reach the first of the regulars - at pretty much the same patch of Tarmac. How does that work?
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    I have wondered this.

Are they traveling a lot slower than you?

I always pass the same trees in the same place...
  • meanredspider
    jimmypippa wrote:

Yup - but I never pass the sheep in the same place

Um - most of them are cyclists and possibly not the fastest cyclists. A couple of peds too - there's obvious more chance of meeting them in the same spot.

Looking at my Garmin data - I tend to leave in the same 5 minute window and my times are usually within a couple of minutes of each other (5 mins max) on a 50-minute commute.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • A colleague once asked me how I always arrived at work exactly on time. The only answer I had was that if I was late, I cycled faster until I was no longer late. That must stabilise things, particularly if the oncoming cyclist subconsciously adopts the same approach.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Er, routine
  • jimmypippa wrote:

Yup - but I never pass the sheep in the same place

Um - most of them are cyclists and possibly not the fastest cyclists. A couple of peds too - there's obvious more chance of meeting them in the same spot.

Looking at my Garmin data - I tend to leave in the same 5 minute window and my times are usually within a couple of minutes of each other (5 mins max) on a 50-minute commute.

we're creatures of habit. they'll be as regular as you are in their routine.

I know from my shifts that I'll almost always see the same different people for my different start and finish times.
  • meanredspider
    Yup - maybe it's that - routine/habit and the variables generally cancelling each other out.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    If you see me in the same place at the same time twice you're doing well. Routines are not my thing. I'd much rather go when I'm ready and arrive when I get there. My boss doesn't like that attitude, so I've moved myself to clients office instead as they have flexitime.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • meanredspider
    Sketchley wrote:
    If you see me in the same place at the same time twice you're doing well.

Not least because you're 600 miles away :wink:
  • Sketchley wrote:

yeah but he's a big lad :wink:
  • meanredspider
    Sketchley wrote:

Ah - That's what I can see from the top of Mount Eagle...! :wink:
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    My commute is pretty quiet but I do pass the same characters most days. The thing that always amazes me and struck me again this morning is how I pass the same people coming the other way at almost exactly the same spot (give or take 50m) every day. I'm not even particularly punctual at leaving and have covered 13 miles before I reach the first of the regulars - at pretty much the same patch of Tarmac. How does that work?

You are the star of the Truman Show and we are all extras.
  • fenboy369
    fenboy369 Posts: 425

+1 to all that. I do 15 miles before I get to the civilized outskirts of Cambridge and I always see three other cyclists coming the other way at just about the same point (Darth Vader, Misery Man and Miserable Fixie Lady... Am I the only person who gives 'the regulars' funny names?) and one girly with a very nice bottom going the same way as me.
    '11 Cannondale Synapse 105CD - FCN 4
    '11 Schwinn Corvette - FCN 15?
    '09 Pitch Comp - FCN (why bother?) 11
    '07 DewDeluxe (Bent up after being run over) - FCN 8
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    i went a weird an wonderful way to work today (seeing as its Friday) an seen a women who i normally see on my normal ride....bearing in mind i seen her about 5 miles away from the normal route

its a small world innit!
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Sketchley wrote:

Ah - That's what I can see from the top of Mount Eagle...! :wink:

Yes yes, my @rse is so large it bends space time.....(I'm no physicist but this maybe true, just not by very much)
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • mudcow007 wrote:
    i went a weird an wonderful way to work today (seeing as its Friday) an seen a women who i normally see on my normal ride....bearing in mind i seen her about 5 miles away from the normal route

its a small world innit!

It'll get even smaller when they lock you up for stalking her... :lol:
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    fenboy369 wrote:
    ... before I get to the civilized outskirts of Cambridge and I always see three other cyclists coming the other way .... and one girly with a very nice bottom going the same way as me.

I see her in Norwich quite often. She must have a hell of a commute.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I've even started recognising the cars that go past me at the same time. A guy in a Range Rover who always used to be on his phone, but has now stopped (got 'done' for it maybe?). The Brabus Merc that always goes past nice and wide. The yellow suzuki sh1tboxthat doesn't :roll:

The only other cyclists I regularly see are a paperboy and a roadie going down a hill as I'm going up it at the start of my commute.

When I drive, on the way home I see a guy climbing the same hill, I always send 'go on!' vibes to him through the power of cyclist telepathy! :lol:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Same faces same places, I use them to gauge how late I am.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    I almost pass the 2 same people every morning. A Boris look alike on a hybrid going the opposite direction to me. Always seems to pass him going past a bread factory. The other is a middle aged woman on a wobbly towny bike who I always pass.

I always try to give a nod/smile/morning from them but nothing in return.
  • Topaxci
    Topaxci Posts: 106
    MichaelW wrote:
    fenboy369 wrote:
    ... before I get to the civilized outskirts of Cambridge and I always see three other cyclists coming the other way .... and one girly with a very nice bottom going the same way as me.

I see her in Norwich quite often. She must have a hell of a commute.

I only ever see the old man on the boneshaker with old banana boxes strapped to the back on my commute through Norwich (not you is it :wink: )

How is that fair??
  • I often pass a woman riding a moped, on the pavement, with bicycle lights on but no moped lights on, and wearing a bicycle helmet. ???? :shock:
  • meanredspider
    The most variable thing I pass is the school bus (minibus actually) and I always get (and give) a cheery wave. The cyclists I pass out of town are always friendly but the ones in town aren't (despite me always giving them a cheery "Morning"). Rarely see anybody on my way home.

I've still NEVER been overtaken on my commute - which in some ways is not surprising (there aren't many bikes about - though I usually pass a few a week) and in others (2 years and 6000 miles) it is.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I've still NEVER been overtaken on my commute - which in some ways is not surprising (there aren't many bikes about - though I usually pass a few a week) and in others (2 years and 6000 miles) it is.

Same here. There's one or two cyclists going the same way as me, but not as quick (may have changed now I'm on the Boardman). I scalped a guy in a hand 'pedalled' wheelchair today, that's how desperate I am for scalps!

The one guy I might have had some fun with RLJed so I won by technical knockout :wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    I tend to see the same people, also judge how late I am by where I see them. Tend to get a nod and a hello from the ones I see in the park.
    Used to see a lovely blond girl near Cobblers Gate. Started with a smile each morning, progressed to a hello, later got to brief exchanges at the gate. Then she disappeared, haven't seen her in 18 months. Probably just as well as the logical next step was a knee trembler in the bushes, she'd have been crushed as I would have had to turn her down.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    on the way in I always see a guy with with tri-bars on Hampton Ct Rd. I wait for him until he comes past. I have photos of him.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,624
    on the way in I always see a guy with with tri-bars on Hampton Ct Rd. I wait for him until he comes past. I have photos of him.

And a little shrine behind the false panel at the back of the wardrobe?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • 61Sigs
    61Sigs Posts: 71
    fenboy369 wrote:

+1 to all that. I do 15 miles before I get to the civilized outskirts of Cambridge and I always see three other cyclists coming the other way at just about the same point (Darth Vader, Misery Man and Miserable Fixie Lady... Am I the only person who gives 'the regulars' funny names?) and one girly with a very nice bottom going the same way as me.

No, I used to see 'Freezin Stephen' every morning. He\she rode a cheap full suss thing and was at minimum wearing a white ski jacket with the hood up and often the chin guard buttoned up and ski gloves. As the weather got cooler more bulk clothing was added until it looked like Michelin Man. Hats of to him/her, rode pretty much all last winter!
    Epic FSR for the real stuff
    Hardrock Sport utility bike
    Boardman CX Team
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297

Not the bloke with tri bars on a chromed full susser BSO? I've never had the guts to take his picture.