Rear Lights! Batteries and Positioning

sketchley
sketchley Posts: 4,238
edited October 2011 in Commuting chat
The amount of people I saw tonight who had a rear lights but they were so dim they were next to useless, check batteries please people! Also one light in back pack pocket or on helmet doesn't really cut it my eye line is lower than that. Put one on the back of bike as well. Also make sure nothing is obsuring the rear light like a mudguard pointless it being there if you cant't see it when approaching from behind. If your not sure get a friend to ride behind you and let you go off ahead and check how far away your visable from.

As for idiots with no lights, i'm lost for words.
--
Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,324
    I agree, problem is exacerbated at this time of year as the lights haven't been used for so long. People refit them then check they work, a lot of people don't recheck to see how bright they are after they've been on for a while. Modern lights are so good they are still bright for the first few minutes even with a cattled battery.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Sketchley wrote:
    [...]

I try and give them an Organ Donor Card so that parts of them can have a second chance with a functioning brain.
  • DrLex wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:
    [...]

I try and give them an Organ Donor Card so that parts of them can have a second chance with a functioning brain.

Brilliant idea! It should be a national winter campaign. It'd make some people think more carefully about risks and mortality. Now, how about reflective organ donor spoke cards?
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    edited October 2011
    as long as thry're not too bright for the grumps on another thread you're laughing.

@sketchley if a helmet mounted light isn't in your eyeline, where are you keeping your eyes? :wink:

totally agree with it all BTW, anything that helps people see you is good in my opinion.
  • Sketchley wrote:
    If your not sure get a friend to ride behind you and let you go off ahead and check how far away your visable from.

And if you have no friends? :(

I've been thinking I need more rear lightage, perhaps something of the flashing persuasion. Can't for the life of me think where else to mount one though, other than the seatpost.
  • Double post
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    edited October 2011
    Sketchley wrote:
    If your not sure get a friend to ride behind you and let you go off ahead and check how far away your visable from.

And if you have no friends? :(

I've been thinking I need more rear lightage, perhaps something of the flashing persuasion. Can't for the life of me think where else to mount one though, other than the seatpost.

wait for a driver to pull up by you at some lights and ask them what they think of your visibility regimen :D

Also wonder of your route thru Deptford and deptfordmarmoset name could be fortuitous for a new friendship of like minded geographically suited individuals :wink:

Yep, its best to have a mix of flashing( to get you noticed) and fixed to allow for a better gauge of the distance to you

helmet mounted flasher if you want it to be seen through the car behind you. or you could use lots of rubber spacers and mount one just below the brakes & angle it up slightly - not good for long range vision but will be seen well enough on clearer roads and by the person directly behind you, who will be the one that hits you if it comes to it
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I was night riding on the MTB last night, by the time I got home it was gone 11pm. As I drove round a corner, almost home, I saw two cyclists riding side by side. One in all black with no lights, the other nearer the pavement with nothing brighter than a cigarette lighter front and back. :roll:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • fenboy369
    fenboy369 Posts: 425
    I've got a 1/2 watt Smart set to solid on the seat post and a 1 watt Smart on the back of each chain stay where the mud guard bosses are set to flash. The chain stay ones are angled slightly down to inluminate lots of floor and the seat post one is set straight back. Seems to work, people at work have commented on how far away they can see me from.
    '11 Cannondale Synapse 105CD - FCN 4
    '11 Schwinn Corvette - FCN 15?
    '09 Pitch Comp - FCN (why bother?) 11
    '07 DewDeluxe (Bent up after being run over) - FCN 8
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Two rear lights are, IMHO, a must. Mitigates against the risk of one of them failing without you noticing.
  • sketchley
    This morning while driving the bloke on the bike in front had a nice multi led rear light, beautifully obscured by a hanging and flapping saddle bag.....
    --
    Chris

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I've seen people with lights obscured by the bag on their rear rack, and others with it hidden behind a long coat.......the mind boggles at how these people manage to look after themselves dya to day.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Sketchley wrote:
    This morning while driving the bloke on the bike in front had a nice multi led rear light, beautifully obscured by a hanging and flapping saddle bag.....

my paniers can obscure from some very oblique angles one of my rear lights hence having two lights.
    6259635693_7c25d1f16c_z.jpg
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I've got two Exposure Flares on the seat post and I've removed my saddle bag to ensure they aren't obscured. Two Fiber Flares on my rucksack and I've put an Exposure Joystick with a redeye on my Xmas list to go on my helmet.

Touch wood that should be reasonably bright, unobscured and appeal to all eye levels.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • sketchley
    Next question, is it good form to tell a person they are not very visible from behind?

Do you do this?

I try to, although I'm more likely to tell someone about an obscured light (they are making an effort) than no light at all.
    --
    Chris

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Sketchley wrote:
    Next question, is it good form to tell a person they are not very visible from behind?

Do you do this?

I try to, although I'm more likely to tell someone about an obscured light (they are making an effort) than no light at all.

Yes. Several times now.

It's different out here though - people talk to you and say hello. :wink:

(I have commented several times in the past and people have always been grateful for the knowledge - it's how you tell them I guess. Plus I'm pulling up to them looking like a bloody UFO coming in to land so I think the impact of an Alien telling them adds to gravitas.

Oh, and I also comment to people on how bright their lights are - in a positive way - if they are well lit)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    The other good thing about having two rear lights is that you can have one on flash and the other on solid - flash grabs attention, solid gives a better reference for judging distance/closing speed.

On the subject of bright lights, one of my routes home takes me through a wooded area on unlit roads. MTBers like to play in the woods at night and show off their mega power lights. Last week I came face to face with a guy who was back on the road on his way home. He had two headlights, undipped and my vision was completely fried, it was way worse that be ing dazzled by a Range Rover on full-beam. The total output from car headlights may still be higher but it is spread over a much greater area. High powered bike lights tend to be much more of a spot and if that spot is pointing at your eyes its brutal.
    So all you folks with a fetish for mega lumens, please show a bit of consideration to the poor fookers who have to share a road with you and dip the bloody things.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,324
    I am more inclined to tell someone if a rear light is obscured or dim as they are bothered enough to make an effort, even if half hearted. They usually don't know there is a problem and appreciate being told.
    Those without lights often don't care and absolve themselves of any responsibility for their own safety and don't appreciate being told. In the rare occasion it's a well intentioned person that has suffered a failure they would realise when they arrive at their destination anyway.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,671
    A lot of unlit Boris Bikes around atm. I assume it's something not picked up by maintenance as I thought they were always on (like Volvos).
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    bails87 wrote:
    I've seen people with lights obscured by the bag on their rear rack, and others with it hidden behind a long coat.......the mind boggles at how these people manage to look after themselves dya to day.

Saw a light obscured by the rack itself the other day.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    I'll inform people that their light is obscured or otherwise malfunctioning, unless they are male and teenage, then I leave them well alone .
    I once made the mistake of telling a teenage male that his quick release was open (you can tell because it says OPEN).