sparky help please OT

ollyridesfirst
ollyridesfirst Posts: 486
edited October 2011 in The bottom bracket
got a problem with the light in the bathroom....there is power to it but no light at all (3 working bulbs tested). I have done some testing and the switch seems fine, also the fixture seems ok too....235 volts going through live and when a bulb is in the voltage is being correctly returned through neutral??? This is the bit I don't quite understand, surely if there is folate returned, the bulb should come on?

anything else I should check before I go for a new fixture

thanks in advance

Comments

• golfergmc
    golfergmc Posts: 426
    If it is a bayonet cap check the pins have not stuck, sometimes the srpings inside them stick and the pin wont make contact with the bulb.
    Cervelo S5 Team 2012
    Scott Addict R2 2010
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp SL 2010
    Kona Tanuki Supreme
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Are the bulbs shorting out the fixture somehow?

EDIT: You'd get a lot of current if that were the case. I'd disconnect the fitting and check continuity with a bulb in it if I were you.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • both sprung contacts seem very good and go in and out relatively easily. They also keep power all the way in and out...
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Get someone to use the switch and check that you have 240 between the switched live and the neutral in the light fitting.
    Check that all the terminals are tight too, there could be a loose wire.
  • 236v going to the switch, when switched on this same voltage goes to the light fixture. When a bulb is in the voltage is returned through neutral.....

I've cleaned and scraped all contacts in the fixture in case it was a bulb up of crud but no difference.

thinking its time for a new fixture..... :?
  • Candles.
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    got a problem with the light in the bathroom....there is power to it but no light at all (3 working bulbs tested). I have done some testing and the switch seems fine, also the fixture seems ok too....235 volts going through live and when a bulb is in the voltage is being correctly returned through neutral??? This is the bit I don't quite understand, surely if there is folate returned, the bulb should come on?

anything else I should check before I go for a new fixture

thanks in advance

Not sure what you mean by voltage returned through neutral. You should have 240 across the pins and 0 between neutral and earth regardless of whether the bulb is in or not
  • golfergmc
    golfergmc Posts: 426
    If 240v is going back down the neutral you have a broken neutral, check the neutral connections in the fitting and ceiling rose.
    Cervelo S5 Team 2012
    Scott Addict R2 2010
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp SL 2010
    Kona Tanuki Supreme
  • kev77
    kev77 Posts: 433
    You have a neutral fault mate,

either at the fitting or just before
  • Pigtail
    Pigtail Posts: 424
    What kind of bukb are you using?

I have one light fitting which won't work with a low energy bulb. No idea why - but it works fine with a 60watt. It's the only traditional bulb we still have in the house. I've sometimes wondered idly why - but have never done anything about it.