Undertaking other cyclists

noisepolluter
noisepolluter Posts: 64
edited October 2011 in Commuting chat
What are the situations where this is acceptable/advisable?

Obviously where they are slowing/stationary and about to turn right.

Where they are cruising along near the centre of the road?

I had someone squeeze past me while I was slowing to turn off left having just signalled, which I was not impressed with.
Cannondale Bad Boy SLX - commute and/or bad weather
Scott Speedster S20 - weekend and/or fair weather commute

Comments

• Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    Obviously that is stupid but were you indicating?

I try to stick to the rules of the road and overtake on the left but sometimes, like when a nodder inches past you at the lights and stays on the outside when they set off slowly, I will undertake.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Ideally, never.

In reallty I undertake on CS8 all the time as you get loads of folk who ride to the far right (insert comedy image here) but I always say I'm on their left as I go though.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    +1 on the lights. Nodder stops a few metres ahead, will tend to just accelerate straight forwards rather than carry out a dodgy swing right then back left maneuver.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Yeah, its never a good idea to undertake.
  • Thanks for confirming.

I really need to make the time to read Cyclecraft properly.
    Cannondale Bad Boy SLX - commute and/or bad weather
    Scott Speedster S20 - weekend and/or fair weather commute
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    Time for "keep left unless overtaking" signs on CS8 methinks.

Generally it's not a good idea, unless the other cyclists is so far over to the right that they can be passed and won't really notice. Like middle lane hogs on the motorway.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    I had one last night on CS7 although I was a little way out, I noticed him just as I was about to pull in. I had a quiet word at the next light stating I had no problem with him coming past on left but a simple shout of "on your left" would help as I wouldn't always shoulder check to the left. He seemed to agree with me and was very good about.

In short I would always try and ensure I passed on right, if passing on left I would make sure other rider knew I was there or I was so far left it did not matter.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Scenario I'm happy to 'undertake' in. Nodder arrived some time after me, advanced well in front of the ASL box & then slowly drift left after the lights change

http://vimeo.com/31115655

Not quite as annoying as the line of cyclists on the left of the ASL and the lane leading up to it, where they all want to go straight on, but you want to go left...
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    It is a sign of poor road manners and probably the thing that annoys me most on my commute (with the exception of the guy this morning who sailed through a red light infront of me with no lights and talking on the telephone).
  • hangeron
    hangeron Posts: 127
    Indicate left with a balled fist...repeat the signal several times a second