antique frame 1953

orienteerstu55
orienteerstu55 Posts: 102
edited November 2011 in Road general
Hey

i acquired an old bike of an old friend of mine, he says its from 1953 and was top of the range when prurchased by his dad. its blue and has a stciker say reynolds 531 tubing as for the logo/ badge stciker thing he says he took it off and now cant find it.

now its in terible condition scrathes, chips but still very ridable and useble, i wondered is it worth anything more than scrap value ? any ideas what it could be ? il try and attatch a picture soon.

Thanks

Stu

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Without some indication of the maker, it's hard to estimate its worth.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • I have just bought a 1960 Claud Butler recently resprayed in almost pristine conditions for 100 pounds. I think it was a bit of a bargain, but the real value is not far off.
    If it's unknown, it's virtually worthless; if it's a renouned British make it can be from 100 to 400 pounds for the best ones... all the way to 600 for a Hetchins with wavy triangle in NOS conditions...
    Some rare Colnago frames of the late 70s and early 80s in very good conditions can flog for 700-800.
    Normally the most sough after frames are 1980s as they combine traditional steel tubes with the possiblity to fit modern as well as period components with little modifications/hassle. When you go back to 1960s and 120 mm dropouts, you're somewhat limited to period components and the market is limited to collectors.

Hope that helps
    left the forum March 2023
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Some bike makers used distinctive lugs or dropouts. Post some decent (in focus) pics of the lug areas. The serial number may be some help. This is probably the best site for info on vintage frames.