OK you've got £800

MRLEON83
MRLEON83 Posts: 42
edited November 2011 in Commuting chat
You can only shop at Evans (due to interst free option)

You're going to use it for a 4 mile (each way) commute - which has HUGE potholes

You love cycling on your day off and regulariy cover 60 miles (canal towpaths, roads etc)

What would YOU go for?....

This is following my bike being stolen a couple of hours ago,.... (violins please )

FYI, I was using a Hybrid before so I'm used to that style ......

Comments

• mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    Specialized Tricross

so you can stick two fingers up at roadies as you ride on some muddy tracks

plus you get to wear a cape...what more could you want?
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    +1 CX.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    If you look in the back of cycling mags, there are loads of shops that do credit.
  • CHEERS GUYS.....I need to get it sorted ASAP or else I have to get a bus (NOOO) Evans are Ok aren't they ? any other places in northamptonshire area ?
  • Keith1983
    Keith1983 Posts: 575
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pin ... e-ec027480 this owuld be my weapon of choice for what you mention, maybe with some cross tyres on?
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    My local Evans had a very nice looking Fuji Crosser reduced to a shade under £400 the other week...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    Evans have got the Canondale CAADX crosser discounted at the moment. I think you'll find the brakes lacking though. Do they do a disc braked crosser at that price point?
  • MRLEON83 wrote:
    You can only shop at Evans (due to interst free option)

You're going to use it for a 4 mile (each way) commute - which has HUGE potholes

You love cycling on your day off and regulariy cover 60 miles (canal towpaths, roads etc)

What would YOU go for?....

This is following my bike being stolen a couple of hours ago,.... (violins please )

FYI, I was using a Hybrid before so I'm used to that style ......

Personally I'm very happy with the new bike in my signature. If you want to stay with flat bars, you might be able to pick up a 2011 Fatty SLX or Deore on end-of-line sale.

Haven't really looked at the the 2012 range, so I couldn't say how much £800 gets you this year.
    Cannondale Bad Boy SLX - commute and/or bad weather
    Scott Speedster S20 - weekend and/or fair weather commute
  • walkingbootweather
    walkingbootweather Posts: 2,443
    edited October 2011
    Since it looks like you have already decided that you need a hybrid style for dealing with HUGE potholes can I suggest:

Trek Navigator 2.0 Equipped 2010 Hybrid Bike at £259.99

AND

Kona Zing 2011 Road Bike at £624.99 for you to have some fun on.

[Edit - you would need to loose about at least a foot for these to fit]

But if you can have only 1, I'd get an old school tourer or a cycle cross.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Kona Jake.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    If your small enough for a 54 then http://www.evanscycles.com/products/can ... e-ec025338
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • unfortunatly not.. i'm 6'1 boo
  • MRLEON83 wrote:
    unfortunatly not.. i'm 6'1 boo

A google search just now for "cannondale bad boy slx 2011 large" shows a large size in stock for £745 at Westbrook cycles (XL out of stock however). I'm a gnat's under 6" and find the large to be fine.
    Cannondale Bad Boy SLX - commute and/or bad weather
    Scott Speedster S20 - weekend and/or fair weather commute
  • CX bike, definately and if poss a Cannondale CAADX 105, they look sweet and recently won a what CX bike review in C+

cannondale-caadx-5-105-2011-cyclocross-bike.jpg

Shop around on the internet, loads of places do 0% finance, see if you can find a local bike shop that stocks one you can take for a test ride even if they don't do finance just to see if you like it.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Welcome to the dark side - Mr Burns will be along with you're cape shortly
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Keith1983 wrote:
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pinnacle/dolomite-three-road-bike-ec027480 this owuld be my weapon of choice for what you mention, maybe with some cross tyres on?
    Now with discs, thinking about getting this with the money I saved on my car insurance.

pinnacle-arkose-two-cyclo-cross-bike.jpg
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Couldn't be more pleased with my CAADX105, but the Tricross (whilst not such such a headturner) is massively well reviewed for the cash.

CX plus lots.

Ah, Kona Jake is a total stunner too....also statistically (given number of 'cross races won) the best cross bike in the world....

Ah hell, don't know. Just follow your willy like all of us (girls excused) :D
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • CrackFox
    CrackFox Posts: 287
    Evans stock the Cooper bikes. I'd consider the Cooper T100 Zandvoort for such a short commute. There are more practical options for longer journeys, but they're not half as pretty. Or maybe the Bianchi hybrid or Charge Tap.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    I really like my Jake. Brakes are a lot better with Swiss Stop pads. Got a rack and guards, it bumps along toe paths and muddy tracks quite happily, but not with Gatorskins on. I'm 6'2" and have a 60 cm, it's meant to be too big, but I like the feel of it like that, I'd go for a 58cm if I did more off road and gat a layback seat post to get the length back.
  • essexian
    essexian Posts: 187
    If you can go up in cost a little, this looks interesting....

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Cube-Cross-Race-2012_49417.htm

May be ordering one later today.... :D
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    MRLEON83 wrote:
    CHEERS GUYS.....I need to get it sorted ASAP or else I have to get a bus (NOOO) Evans are Ok aren't they ? any other places in northamptonshire area ?

No Evans are NOT ok.

Primera offer interest free and are a pleasure to deal with.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,931
    essexian wrote:

Nice!

It's also reduced from 999 to 995

Be rude not to!
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • if it were me I'd be looking at mountain bikes! 4 miles each way and potholes means an mountain bike would (a) cope with the journey, and (b) with nobbly tires and extra weight the 4 miles would be tougher going and make me fitter ....

interested to know what you decided to opt for though

Jon
    Commuting between Twickenham <---> Barbican on my trusty Ridgeback Hybrid - url=http://strava.com/athletes/125938/badge]strava[/url
  • If you like hybrids, how about saving yourself £400 and get this?:

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/30986/Fel ... -Bike.html

Cracking spec, at a hell of a discount too. Unfortunately my new mortgage has scuppered my chances of taking advantage of this one. :roll:
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    essexian wrote:

Nice!

It's also reduced from 999 to 995

Be rude not to!

Good God. That's a nice looking bike! 8)

Want.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    jonnyboy77 wrote:
    if it were me I'd be looking at mountain bikes! 4 miles each way and potholes means an mountain bike would (a) cope with the journey, and (b) with nobbly tires and extra weight the 4 miles would be tougher going and make me fitter ....

Jon
    Maybe for the short commute part but I don't think the 60 mile road/towpath rides would be much fun on a MTB.
  • Godders1 wrote:
    jonnyboy77 wrote:
    if it were me I'd be looking at mountain bikes! 4 miles each way and potholes means an mountain bike would (a) cope with the journey, and (b) with nobbly tires and extra weight the 4 miles would be tougher going and make me fitter ....

Jon
    Maybe for the short commute part but I don't think the 60 mile road/towpath rides would be much fun on a MTB.

Fair point!
    Commuting between Twickenham <---> Barbican on my trusty Ridgeback Hybrid - url=http://strava.com/athletes/125938/badge]strava[/url