12 Hour Racing

Wack
Wack Posts: 4
edited October 2011 in Amateur race
Please can anyone give me some information on 12 hour races, specifically whether a "follow car" can be used on open road races,

Thanks

Comments

• SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    Are you thinking about 12 Hour Time Trials or 12 hour road racing (if there is such a thing).
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    In a RR only sanctioned vehicles are allowed on the course e.g. team cars (elite races only) or neutral service - there's no way an event organiser would permit anyone to just join in. Likewise, following cars in a TT are not permitted - only roadside assistance allowed.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • SBezza
    TT's over 100KM are slightly different, though you can't have a following car that follows for the duration of the event, they are allowed to pass the rider every so often, think off hand it is once every 10 miles or so.
  • Wack
    Time trialling
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    There wont be anything now until next summer - 12 hours aren't that common.

And yes - you can have helpers in a following car - but they're not allowed to follow you as such - its more a case that they can leapfrog you to hand up drinks and food from a layby.

And as has been mentioned - they can only overtake you every so often - so that riders aren't getting assistance by drafting the car.
  • SBezza
    For most of the 12 hour courses they are normally done in circuits so you don't really need a "following car". My helpers have either been static for the majority of the day, or only moved between different circuits, always had a mobile with me, if I got a mechanical or puncture for them to come and find me.

Never have the car following you, that is a very big No No, plus it isn't a very good way to get good fuel economy :lol:

There are 5 12 hour TT's in the CTT calendar, and 2 of them are normally on the same day, so you need to pick the one you want to do wisely. Most will also have neutral feed stations where you can get water and a few nibbles, though I know the KCA one doesn't do this.
  • Wack
    Thanks for the info, very useful. Cheers