Nifty neoprene pocket to stash stuff away while riding

macdesigner
macdesigner Posts: 35
edited October 2011 in Road buying advice
Spotted this in my local Tescos the other week, it's meant for the Kindle but is the perfect size to fill with the usual items when riding, energy bars, mobile, pumps, mini tools etc.

If you like to keep everything together this is just the bob and offers a degree of comfort when stashed away in the the rear pockets due to the neoprene construction.

From memory they cost £4.97 which compared to other purpose built items is a bit cheaper and every bit as good.

neoprenepocket.jpg
Sunday Best : Cervélo R3 / SRAM Red / 3T / Fulcrum Racing Zero tubeless
Everyday : Cervélo S1 / SRAM Force / 3T / Fulcrum Racing One tubeless
Winter : Kinesis TK2 / SRAM Force / 3T / Fulcrum Racing 3 + full guards...

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Call yourself a serious cyclist if you're not prepared to pay 40-quid for the Rapha Ride Essentials case? :wink:
    BTW, my local pound-shop does a little neoprene case for digital cameras that's perfect for a Blackberry or mobile, ID, cash, sticky patches and so forth.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Cubic
    Cubic Posts: 594
    A rolled up sock works well too. Put in in a freezer bag and it's waterproof! :)
  • dbb
    dbb Posts: 323
    nice find
    regards,
    dbb
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    I bought some Craghopper hiking shorts which came with a waterproof plastic sleeve which was removable. Ideal for keeping the blackberry dry if it rains when on the bike.

It was so good that when I needed it one cold morning I couldn't undo the two poppers and the slide seal until my fingers completely thawed out.

Now I just wrap the mobile in cling film. This was greate when I had a smart phone as the film still allowed the screen to work whilst still wrapped,
  • mrdsgs
    mrdsgs Posts: 337
    poundland sells a whole range of these!!!
    Colnago Addict!
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Wouldn't you want it waterproof ?

Neoprene certainly isn't waterproof - wetsuits are called wetsuits for a reason...
  • Avezius
    Avezius Posts: 132
    talking of wetsuits, I have a rubber wallet thing I put my keys in under my wetsuit while surfing - completely waterproof. I think it was about £15. Dug it out today - big swell running this weekend!

On a bike, I tend to put keys & phone in poop scoops!
  • macdesigner
    macdesigner Posts: 35
    edited October 2011
    andy_wrx wrote:

Neoprene certainly isn't waterproof - wetsuits are called wetsuits for a reason...

andy_wrx... Neoprene is totally waterproof! I've been wearing neoprene waders for years when fly fishing during the colder months, waist deep and totally dry and warm. 3mm neoprene will keep you dry and warm in the middle of winter, as long as all the seems are taped / sealed etc. :)

Wetsuits let water in on purpose, that's where the warmth comes from where as drysuits grip the ankles, wrists and neck to keep water out...
  • dbb wrote:
    nice find

Cheers :)
  • rjsmith
    rjsmith Posts: 1,924
    Thanks for this and taking the time to add the photo.
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    andy_wrx wrote:

andy_wrx... Neoprene is totally waterproof! .

I think it depends on the type of neoprene. Open cell neoprene will pass water whilst closed cell neoprene wont.