Do Garmins crash?

rodgers73
rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
edited October 2011 in Road beginners
After reading a lot on here about GPX files not working too well on Garmins (a problem I've had) I loaded a route as a TCX file and all was well for about 2/3rds of the ride.

Then, suddenly, the directions just dried up and the prompts stopped coming. Tried switching it off and on again (the old favourite) but still no joy.

The screen showed the upcoming prompts from the moment it stoped working - ie left, right, straight etc - but the distance to those turns wasnt present and they stayed on screen without changing for the rest of the ride.

Fortunately, I had a paper map as a backup.

Is this terminal or just another "risk" that might strike at any moment with Garmins? Mine's the 705 Edge.

Comments

• racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    I use files from BikeRouteToaster and have never had any problems.

I realise that's not an answer to your question but it might be that some sources of file are less reliable than others (occasional coding errors on some sources file creation systems perhaps).

Where are you getting your files from?
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    I've only had my 800 a short time but I've come to realise that some route files are just rubbish. With several very good web-based mapping sites around there isn't any excuse for shoddy navigation files that just "join the dots" going off- and on-road, cutting corners and weaving from one side of a road to the other.
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • I've got an Edge 500and it can be a fickle beast at times - screen lock up's, not recording the start of the ride despite starting the timer, calories recording as 0 etc.

I must confess I have only used the courses facility once. I created my own route on RidewithGPS and the screen locked up at around 15 miles into a 50 mile ride and wouldn't reset or even turn off resulting in a load of data being missed.

You can now create courses on Garmin Connect so I may well give that a go sometime as it will hopefully be a little more robust being their own website etc
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    i used Bike Route Toaster for the route in question.

I think I'll try Garmin Connect - has anyone had any experience of this being any more reliable than other sites???
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    There I was hoping to dig out a common site for poor mapping.

Perhaps it's the area of the country that's the problem, I'm in London where I suspect Google maps (which I believe BRT runs off) have taken a lot of data. There may be gaps / errors in other parts of the country that I'm not seeing (or I may just be lucky). I doubt we'll ever find out though.
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    For what it's worth I find Ride with GPS does a decent job of plotting routes.
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    bikehike is pretty good

I've only had my 800 crash once (have done about 150 rides with it) and i think that was due to not having the rubber bit open accidentally when it was raining heavy, started getting weird readings just before it crashed. Fortunately dried out ok, at first i thought i'd broken it.