Medical

essex-commuter
essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
edited October 2011 in Commuting chat
Had a company medical this morning.

2 years ago my cholesterol was borderline high, today it was impressively low with an HDL of 1.3mmol/l. Discussing my diet the nurse concluded that it was due to me taking a liking to red wine about a year ago, apparently it breaks down the fat. Happy dayz!

Oh but I’m overweight with a BMI of 25.8. I’m 5ft 11" with a 32” waist. Gotta love the BMI rating.

Comments

• Good on you.

I think the chances of it being the red wine are remote - put it down to 2 years' commuting.

As for the BMI, that is a waste of time telling you that you are overweight. Mine is about 25 and when I lost a bit of weight 3 years ago, people at work thought I was ill.

Medicals are designed to make you worry unnecessarily. It is only if you have other risk factors (high blood pressure, diabetes, true obesity etc.) should you even worry about it.

Keep on cycling.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Oh but I’m overweight with a BMI of 25.8. I’m 5ft 11" with a 32” waist. Gotta love the BMI rating.

BMI is rubbish . . . .
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Jehannum
    Jehannum Posts: 107
    I'm sure I've read that the group one above "ideal" BMI are the ones who live longest, statistically.

Relax.

J.
    Reduce your carbon footprint - ride a metal bike!
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Jehannum wrote:
    I'm sure I've read that the group one above "ideal" BMI are the ones who live longest, statistically.

Fantastic - I may well be immortal.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    My BMI means I'm 12" too small :lol:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    redvee wrote:
    My BMI means I'm 12" too small :lol:
    Mrs EKE says I'm 12" too small...
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • You're 85 kg and have a 32 inch waist?
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    ooermissus wrote:
    You're 85 kg and have a 32 inch waist?

Might be 8ft tall...
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Greg T wrote:

BMI is rubbish . . . .

Bit harsh; I used to work for them, they were pretty good with the flight costs and everything.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • ooermissus wrote:
    You're 85 kg and have a 32 inch waist?

Who me? Nearly, I was 13 stone 2 on the day of the medical, but I had just eaten all my sandwiches and had two cups of tea (it was only 10.30am but I cycled in!). I have a 44" chest though.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    I'm 6ft, 18 stone with 40inch waist Measured round the middle not under the belly. BMI is 34. Resting heart rate is 40, I have normal blood pressure and liver function, low cholesterol and my blood sugar is normal. I cycle 100+ miles a week. Screw bmi doesn't work for athletes.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5