How often do you replace kit, like lights?

MrChuck
MrChuck Posts: 1,663
edited October 2011 in Commuting general
As above, I've seen a few "what light?" threads and was just wondering how frequently people get through things like this. Do you buy a new light or jacket every year, or just wait till you lose/break one? What's the average age of your gear?

Comments

• ga02clr
    ga02clr Posts: 97
    If your lights are good quality, do the required job and keep you safe what’s the point of buying new ones?

If there is something that is considerably better and would benefit you and or make you safer then I see the point but not just for the sake of it!
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    ga02clr wrote:
    If your lights are good quality, do the required job and keep you safe what’s the point of buying new ones?

If there is something that is considerably better and would benefit you and or make you safer then I see the point but not just for the sake of it!

Totally agree. Last night, for instance, I was trying to remember when I got my Cateye HHG and couldn't, think it was when they first came out. I'll replace it when it breaks or gets lost.

But I wonder if this is common, or if people buy the newest/shiniest when it comes out?
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    If it works, good. I don't replace if it is good. I do carry a few spares as lights do tend to fail/break/fall off the bike.

Worn the same jersey for 2 years commuting, don't see any point in getting something good, I save that for touring or goods days out. Cheap but cheerful and visible for Maryhill Road.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Moodyman
    Moodyman Posts: 158
    I stock up on consumables when there is a good sale on - chains/ cassettes/ brake pads.

The rest of the gear I replace when it stops working.
  • if it ain't broke and all that.