Battlefield 3 - looking good

Daz555
Daz555 Posts: 3,976
edited November 2011 in The Crudcatcher
Activated my copy (PC) of BF3 a couple of days ago by using a VPN to the States (release in EU not till the 28th for some reason).

So far I'm very very impressed. Comfortably the best looking multiplayer shooter I've seen and the action and feel is intense.

There are some bugs to iron out though - a fair few users are having trouble with the game stuttering/freezing from time to time and I'm one of them. Hopefull it will be patched soon because I really like what I've seen so far.
You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.

Comments

• mak3m
    mak3m Posts: 1,394
    Daz555

What spec is your PC haven't upgraded mine in a while

Old BF2 player, tried BC2 but just didn't do it for me. Does BF3 have the huge maps seen in BF 1&2
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    Hmmm out tomorrow.

Might pick it up to relieve the boredom 'til MW3 comes out!
  • mak3m wrote:
    Daz555

Old BF2 player, tried BC2 but just didn't do it for me. Does BF3 have the huge maps seen in BF 1&2

I played the Beta Version on the xbox, and the first maps were very large, at least coming from a CoD background. I really enjoyed the game, and once my bike is ready and up and running, i'll be getting the game.

The game was amazing when I was playing the demo, and will be a convert from CoD to battlefield once I get the chance.
  • mak3m
    MountainMonster

Sounds promising big maps where always the selling point of BF games, some huge ones in the original , cruising in bombers and even a sub on one map
  • It's available on the PSN store on Friday so I'll be getting it then (which involves me sending money via paypal to a mate, them buying the prepaid card and emailing me the code).

Looking forward to this
    Formally known as Coatbridgeguy
  • Daz555
    mak3m wrote:
    Daz555

BF3 is back to the huge maps - 64 player on PC version.

My specs:

Phenom X4 9850 @ 2.8GHz - CPU maxes at about 90% in game.
    4GB DDR2 800
    HD5770 1GB
    Windows 7
    1650x1080, most settings at high, 0xAA, 8xAF, motion blur off, HBAO on.

Average about 30-40fps.
  • Played the beta on xbox and it was full of bugs, saying that i've had this game on pre order for over 4 months, I'm going to a midnight launch to get my hands on it asap!
    This is going to be one of the best games for the next few years and will keep you happy in fps for at least a few.
    GT Zaskar mmmmm yummy!
  • bellys
    bellys Posts: 456
    Picking it up on way home from work in the morning should be at the shop for 7am home for 7:30. I'm not sleeping tomorrow day :)
  • cazmotron
    cazmotron Posts: 161
    Mate got his xbox copy yesterday (jammy git). He has said that the beta doesn't do the full game justice. Me and my group of mates have a long weekend for it, though I might also fit a day at Glentress in (doubtful mind you)
    Attention all planets of the Solar Federation - We have assumed control.
  • proper looking forward to it, davesaraver on xbox live if anyone wants to add me and squad it up, put crud int message like. hopefully getting it tommorow. :D
  • MrChrisP
    MrChrisP Posts: 321
    mak3m wrote:
    Daz555

Do you still play BF2? Have been playing it for years and still not tired of it (still not any good either!)

Been thinking about BF3 but am not sure if my laptop has the specs to play at a decent gfx level and it's hard to justify forking out on an upgrade just for a game... Might end up doing it all the same though...
    Kona Stinky Six
    Kona Scrap
    Scott YZ4
  • mak3m
    MrChrisP

kind of died off after dolphin gate and started attempting to play CSS
  • mak3m
    Daz555

just tried it on can you run it

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/

gotta pass but below reccomended spec

not bad for a 2+ year pc

Q6600 2.4 stock can run solid at 3.2 on air
    8GB DDr2
    GTX280
    Vista 64
  • I'm guessing I'll be the only PS3 player of this on here

No matter as don't have a headset anyway :D
  • I think I'll be buying it and i'm a PS3 player. Looks pretty awesome!
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • mak3m
    you think you can

but you cant

you cant play fps on a console

you freaks :P
  • I'm the first one to defend the PC as the best option for FPS (I used to be proper 1337 back in the day :wink: ) but console FPS gaming has it's merits as well.
  • Daz555
    mak3m wrote:
    Daz555

just tried it on can you run it

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/

gotta pass but below reccomended spec

not bad for a 2+ year pc

Q6600 2.4 stock can run solid at 3.2 on air
    8GB DDr2
    GTX280
    Vista 64
    You will have no hassles running the game with that hardware unless you have a fetish for uber high resolutions and graphics settings.

The freezing problem I had was cured with updated Realtek drivers & codec. Excellent.
  • mak3m
    Daz555

Aye the freezes on bc2 were down to sound issues, got a sound card and sorted it right out.

5.1 on war tapes = crapping yourself regularly as bullets ricochet around you :P
  • mak3m
    Montevideoguy
    I'm no longer as 1337 as I was and it's damn expensive to keep an up to date gaming PC, always said when this one falls over will invest in a console.

Will probably wait for the next big thing as both the PS3 and xnox are pretty old kit now
  • Daz555
    mak3m wrote:
    Montevideoguy
    I'm no longer as 1337 as I was and it's damn expensive to keep an up to date gaming PC, always said when this one falls over will invest in a console.
    I would as well. However the consoles still don't have native keyboard and mouse support in all their FPS games. Until that day, it will be PC for me.
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
  • Daz555 wrote:
    mak3m wrote:
    Montevideoguy
    I would as well. However the consoles still don't have native keyboard and mouse support in all their FPS games. Until that day, it will be PC for me.

They never will. The players using mouse/keyboard would slaughter joypad users... that's why you never get any xbox/pc online matchups
  • How come never a PS3/XBOX server then? Would be quite cool I think, since my general opinion of PS3 users is quite low in the skills department. That's coming from someone who had a ps3 for years, and switched to XBOX and the skill difference is very evident.
  • How come never a PS3/XBOX server then? Would be quite cool I think, since my general opinion of PS3 users is quite low in the skills department. That's coming from someone who had a ps3 for years, and switched to XBOX and the skill difference is very evident.

There it would be to retain differentiation (also easier for licencing to do an XBOX/PC thing... Windows baby!!).

As for Xbox players being more skilled...I'm not so sure on that. I've played against good players on both and rubbish players on both. Depends on the game me thinks
  • Daz555
    How come never a PS3/XBOX server then? Would be quite cool I think, since my general opinion of PS3 users is quite low in the skills department. That's coming from someone who had a ps3 for years, and switched to XBOX and the skill difference is very evident.
    Xbox Live is why. There have been a couple of joint PC/PS3 multiplayer games as both typically operate a free to play model. However this falls apart once Live comes into it -MS will not let non subscribers onto its network and they certainly aint gonna allow XBoxes onto the competition's free to play services.
  • cazmotron
    cazmotron Posts: 161
    have finaly dragged myself away from the multiplayer, started at 11am. It is awesome!
    Attention all planets of the Solar Federation - We have assumed control.
  • mac_man
    mac_man Posts: 918
    Anyone see the gadget show....
    Worlds best gaming simulator. Awesome.

http://fwd.channel5.com/gadget-show/gad ... -simulator
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk
  • Would be curious to see how some of you are getting on with this and your opinions.

I'm very positive about it for the most part with just one or two things I'm finding iffy...the sniping seems 'off' and a couple of the maps seem more "Call of Duty" than "Battlefield" (Grand Bazaar and the two Paris based maps). Took me a while but slowly starting to find my feet.

Will need to invest in a heatset though...some things like SOFLAM and MAV are pure teamwork based
  • I finally managed to get my act together and bought the game as well, loving it so much.

Still having problems on some of the maps, mainly due to not knowing where to go, where people could be, or anything. I'm getting there though, anyone want to add me go ahead, gamer tag is fluffybunnytoes.