Puncture damage

Frank pole
Frank pole Posts: 112
edited October 2011 in Road beginners
Got a puncture last night - shard of glass, it's split the tyre a bit

Just wondering is this tyre a write off?

image-3.jpg

Comments

• coopsman1
    coopsman1 Posts: 337
    I would keep using it.

I have some nasty cuts in my gatorskins and so far I have done 1,200 miles without major problems.Only had 3 punctures in the past year.

I usually pop a bit of superglue on the inside of the tyre just to fill the hole. Either that or super glue a small piece of innertube or something if your really concerned
  • 45rpm
    45rpm Posts: 43
    +1 for superglue, works a treat. but does sometimes leak through and glues the tube to your tyre, ha
  • Pep
    Pep Posts: 501
    no
  • try applying a patch on the inside of the tyre?
  • t5nel
    t5nel Posts: 365
    Mad Roadie wrote:
    try applying a patch on the inside of the tyre?

+1 I have done this with the self adhesive type of patch and it seems to stop water/grit getting and the innertube herniating out
    My bikes
    MTB - 1997 Kona Kula
    Hybrid - Kona Dew Deluxe
    Road - 2011 Ribble Gran Fondo, Omega Matrix Ultegra
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    As others have said - it will be fine - put a small boot on the inside of the tyre (little bit of card, another bit of inner tube or whatever - just to stop the inner tube trying to escape through the little hole.

I've never tried the superglue trick - might give it a go at some point.

It takes quite a lot to actually write a tyre off - most glass shards will hopefully only create a small hole in the inner carcass of the tyre, so nothing to worry about unless it's a hole of, I'd say, more than 5-10mm in the inside of the tyre - and even then that could be booted to get you home for sure (just not sure I'd want to ride on it much after that).

This only applies to holes/gashes in the top surface of the tyre - it doesn't take much to write a tyre off with a side wall gash, and beyond booting to get you home, a side wall gash is almost always time to write the tyre off.