Decent shoes for flat pedals?

Gallywomack
Gallywomack Posts: 823
edited October 2011 in Commuting chat
Is there such a thing? I'm one of those perverse people who is happy on flat pedals, but footwear is a perennial problem. What I'd like is a pair of bike specific shoes that are slim enough to put an overshoe over, with grippy soles that won't slip off my pedals in the wet. During the summer I'm fine in normal trainers but they are too bulky for overshoes. On my MTB I 'rock' 5.10s, and these are ace in terms of grip but again way too bulky. Last winter I had a cheapo pair of shoes from decathlon that fit the bill in terms of shape, but the soles were totally flat and staying on the pedals in the wet was like trying to run on ice.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• How about some of these?

24012036_l.jpg
    Commuting between Twickenham <---> Barbican on my trusty Ridgeback Hybrid - url=http://strava.com/athletes/125938/badge]strava[/url
  • I don't think you can do flat pedals and overshoes, they'd get trashed even quicker than with clippies.
  • Could do the trick although they would have got me beaten up in Primary school.

Edit: UE,

I don't bother with overshoes for cold, just for rainy days, so they don't get too much use. I've got an Endura pair that survived last winter and did a reasonable job of waterproofing.
  • Could do the trick although they would have got me beaten up in Primary school.

:P

I have been known to ride in shoes like these too, usually en route to football, but they seem to grip well on flats (CB 5050 or Kona Wah Wah) even in the rain.

26900447_l.jpg

Which reminds me I need to replace my astros ...

- Jon
    Commuting between Twickenham <---> Barbican on my trusty Ridgeback Hybrid - url=http://strava.com/athletes/125938/badge]strava[/url
  • jonnyboy77 wrote:
    Could do the trick although they would have got me beaten up in Primary school.

:P

I have been known to ride in shoes like these too, usually en route to football, but they seem to grip well on flats (CB 5050 or Kona Wah Wah) even in the rain.

26900447_l.jpg

Which reminds me I need to replace my astros ...

- Jon

That's probabaly a decent shout - the soles on 5.10s are essentially the same with the little bobbles. And the price is certainly right!
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Look at Shimano's range - I've used a couple of different pairs in the past (in the dark days when I used flats!) and they worked well.

You might struggle with overshoes, but Altura do make some good waterproof ones that are quite big.
  • Monkeypump wrote:
    Look at Shimano's range - I've used a couple of different pairs in the past (in the dark days when I used flats!) and they worked well.

You might struggle with overshoes, but Altura do make some good waterproof ones that are quite big.

Cheers - I just find it hard to tell looking online what the sole is like and whether they'd be any good. I've never seen a pair of shoes designed for road cycling where the description/spec explicitly says 'these are for idiots still using flats and they are really grippy', which is what I'd like to see before pulling the trigger (essentially that's what the spec on 5.10 shoes says!) . I think I'll have to take a trip down to the LBS and ask them - although they'll undoubtedly suggest going clipless!

I dunno, sticking with flats is a tough road to pedal, but I refuse to be bowed by the clipless-industrial complex into following 'their' rules, man.
  • I only really use flats on my snow bike, and when it's that bad, I find a pair of hiking boots to work well. The pedals I use are pretty grippy, though.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I've used footy trainers before and they're fine..

Currently I'm sporting these bad boys
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/chrome-kursk-low-shoes/

chrome-kursk-shu-10-med.jpg
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Yeah I must say I'm liking the footy trainer idea. I may peruse the Gola range down at my local Sports Direct.

Those Chrome shoes look the bizzo, but I'm not sure they fit my image - if I went for them I'd probably have to get tats, piercings, a messenger bag and start riding a fixie :wink:
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Those Chrome shoes look the bizzo, but I'm not sure they fit my image - if I went for them I'd probably have to get tats, piercings, a messenger bag and start riding a fixie :wink:

:lol: oh wait...

tbf I usually ride with them on a brompton, but the rest is right
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Nice! Going by that thread t'other day, you do the same route as me don't you (A21, Brookmill, Evelyn St etc)? What time do you roll through? I'll have to keep an eye out for a very un-Brompton Brompton rider. I half think I may have seen you once, in fact.

I'd look ludicrous on one but always quite fancied a little folder - they can be seriously rapid I've noticed, something to do with the small wheels and less inertia, my brother told me.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I'm seriously considering hitting the button on a pair of these;

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/five-ten-minnaar-mtb-shoes/

Thoughts?
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Bi50N
    Bi50N Posts: 87
    I'd recommend what I'm wearing right now - Adidas Chile 62

large_adidas_chile_62.jpg

Super grippy tread pattern