Who will make me a custom rotor?

DaveyL
DaveyL Posts: 5,167
edited January 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I would like a disc rotor with a size and bolt pattern which isn't commercially available. Will any company make me a rotor, or will they all turn me down on safety grounds?
Le Blaireau (1)

Comments

• johnsav
    johnsav Posts: 775
    surely asking them would be the best bet
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what do you need?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What is it for - most are available somewhere, even obsolete ones.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • DaveyL
    johnsav wrote:
    surely asking them would be the best bet

Asking who? Just the big companies like Hope etc.? I don't know who makes custom rotors, if anyone, hence the post asking the question.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • DaveyL
    cooldad wrote:

It's not available anywhere. Hence me asking the question.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • nicklouse
    DaveyL wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

It's not available anywhere. Hence me asking the question.

so what are you looking for?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • DaveyL
    nicklouse wrote:
    what do you need?

I have a PowerTap wheel with disc rotor on my 29er. I would like to use it on my CX bike. The rear hub spacing is fine at 135 mm, but the PowerTap rotor is only available in 160 mm and the frame won't accept anything bigger than 140 at the back. The PT rotor is a bespoke design because of the PT hub - it has an 8 bolt pattern. I'd like someone to make me a 140 mm equivalent.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • nicklouse
    Ok a bit more than just a disc.

a 8 bolt carrier and then a rivited disc on that.

I will be time to talk to your local engineers and see if they can point you to a water jet cutter. you may (will) have to give them the existing disc carrier for canablising and measuring.

Likewise call Hope and see if they have anything in the works.
  • DaveyL
    nicklouse wrote:
    Ok a bit more than just a disc.

a 8 bolt carrier and then a rivited disc on that.

I will be time to talk to your local engineers and see if they can point you to a water jet cutter. you may (will) have to give them the existing disc carrier for canablising and measuring.

Likewise call Hope and see if they have anything in the works.

Not just the disc? The bit the rotor bolts onto is an integral part of the PT hub. Can't I "just" get another rotor made, 140 mm in diameter which will bolt onto the carrier?
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • nicklouse
    is it bolted on? looks like it is rivited with 6 rivits.

2269954028_2e6b5ef0e8.jpg

or is yours different.
  • DaveyL
    I'll need to have a look - you are probably right as it I doubt the design has changed.

Might be easier to find a frame that'll take it as is...
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    All the PT ones I've seen have been like that - you should be able to get an engineering place to machine a new rotor to rivet to the carrier. Whether it's cost effective is another question, but then you use a PT on an MTB so that's probably not an issue... ;-)

Have you tried a 160mm rotor in the frame?
  • DaveyL
    Thanks. Yeah, tried - it doesn't fit. I know some do (e.g. the Boardman CX frames) but not this one (Spesh TriCross)
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • njee20
    Change it for a Crux? Far nicer bike if you're interested in performance!
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,149
    BETD might be able to do it if you can't find a local company.

If they've not done one before though the set up charge is likely to be very high and they will probably need the old rotor to get the rivet pattern.

They were pretty helpful when I rang them about frame bearings so might be worth asking, the worst they can say is no.

Hope would probably make you one, but again the costs are likely to be high if it's not an off the shelf thing.
  • DaveyL
    njee20 wrote:
    Change it for a Crux? Far nicer bike if you're interested in performance!

Spesh customer service say the Crux is pretty much the same geometry back there and will also not take a 160. I agreee it is a nicer bike though!
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Try ABE in Greenwich. They make motorbike discs so could probably do one for you fairly easily.

http://www.allbikeengineering.co.uk/
  • Ginjafro
    Ginjafro Posts: 572
    Try these two, Dirty Dog and Brake Stuff. I've seen DD advertise in UK mags before and one or two flashy MTBs on More Dirt and Pink Bike have displayed some pretty cool rotors.

http://www.dirtydogmtb.com/
    http://www.brake-stuff.de/
    Giant XTC Pro-Carbon
    Cove Hustler
    Planet X Pro-Carbon
  • DaveyL
    Thanks for these leads, guys. There might be something promising to follow from them....
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • DaveyL
    Just to update...

Am now in possession of 2 x 140 mm discs riveted onto carriers, custom made by one of the companies above (will PM anyone who wants to know which one). Very happy with their service and price. Thanks all for your suggestions.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • I am also looking for this exact solution, but cannot PM as I just registered. Any pointers on whom to contact for a custom 140 mm rotor for a Powertap would be greatly appreciated.
  • DaveyL
    Sorry - only just seen this. Have PMed you with a reply.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • njee20
    Why PM? If a company makes a solution to a difficult problem they deserve the promotion of having their name printed here? :?
  • DanDax1990
    DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
    Company name, pictures and price :D
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    njee20 wrote:
    Why PM? If a company makes a solution to a difficult problem they deserve the promotion of having their name printed here? :?

Indeed. Post up, aslo prcie - may be useful for somebody else.

I'd be interested to see photo of hub and rotor too - would it not have been possible to make an adapter so a standard 140 mm disc could be fitted, or modify the hub for such an adapter?
  • njee20
    As a PowerTap disc hub is c£800 I'd look for someone to make me one before modifying my hub ;-)