winter tyres - best for grip

delatierra
delatierra Posts: 11
edited October 2011 in Commuting general
Can you recommend tyres 700 X 35C, 28 X 1 5/8 (all the numbers on my tyres now).

I was slipping all over the place last year which resulted in many falls, don't want the same to happen again.

Now my (new) tyres are Schwalbe Marathon Plus

Thanks

Comments

• Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    Slipping due to standing water or ice? If ice, then you'll need spiked/studded tyres - only these will grip into ice; no rubber compound or tread pattern will offer you any grip on ice.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Mr Plum wrote:
    Slipping due to standing water or ice? If ice, then you'll need spiked/studded tyres - only these will grip into ice; no rubber compound or tread pattern will offer you any grip on ice.

+1 - Marathon Winters are your friend
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Slipping on ice and even frost, totally lost my confidence now in freezing conditions but was hoping a change of tyre would help
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    delatierra wrote:
    Slipping on ice and even frost, totally lost my confidence now in freezing conditions but was hoping a change of tyre would help

Then get Marathon Winters. Studded tyres are fantastic even on sheet ice - I've commuted the last two winters on them through the Scottish Highlands and never once even had a "moment" let alone fallen off (finds a big piece of wood to touch...)

To build confidence in them, find a patch of ice to ride relatively slowly over and brake hard (preparing for the worst, of course) - you'll find you come to an undramatic stop. Like winter tyres on a car, the difference they make is just incredible.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Thanks they look great.
    Can't wait for the frost to hit now