Forum home Mountain biking forum MTB general

Is this normal? Mid life crisis?

voodoomanvoodooman Posts: 183
edited October 2011 in MTB general
I got into mountain bikes a couple of years ago (basically it's replacing football and cricket as I'm too old) and try to get down the local trails a couple of times a week but...

Yesterday I went with mates and kids and a video camera to see how extreme we really are.

1 - The biggest "jump" was a mighty 8 inches tops. Wow.
2 - Getting a bit silly and daring meant all of us did at least one face plant. I ended up about 6 feet off the trail, lying in a ditch thinking WTF / you're 42 you muppet.
3 - My body is a catalogue of bruises and my left knee hit the frame and has swollen up (the reason I've been up since 6).

Result

Five alleged adults are now looking at a downhill bike on ebay that we could "share" for a laugh.

I repeat - Is this normal? or a mid-life crisis? does body armour work?

Posts

  • voodooman
    Where you from though? is there a DH track?

    Don't think I'd share one.. if one of you bailed big and trashed the bike, I wouldn't be apy!
  • I wouldn't share a bike, but buy a group buy of really cheap ones, would be good for a laugh. Definitely not mid-life crises though, cause I have been thinking the same thing and i'm only 22.
  • well I am touching late 30's had a 20yr gap in mountain biking, and got back into it a couple of yrs ago, started with a hard tail now have a nice full susser. I have looked at armour and from my experiance snowboarding when I wore armour i thought i was invinceable - but alas not - torn rotator, cracked ribs, broken bindings. On the bike with out armour - broken thumb, ripped arm open, multiple cuts but big big smiles...
    Re sharing I agree get your own - just setting up so you are happy will be tricky enough let alone other people changing settings and bending the odd thing. I also have the urge to buy a new frame and build a bike (Nuke Proof one) - but the every watchful eye of her in doors prevents me for now - although the nights are drawing in and if i just leave the garage light off long enough....
    Getting back to crashing - it is part and parcel if you are pushing yourself, pad will help but I have not found any comfy enough yet - although off to alps next year so fully armoured I will be - akin to King Henry and Agincourt!
    Trance x5
    Trek 4500 (toddler chariot)
  • MarkmjhMarkmjh Posts: 415
    Definitely not a mid-life crisis!!!
    But don't share a bike! You would never be able to set it up to suit all of you, if someone stacks who pays to repair/replace? Who looks after/cleans/stores it?
    Just a whole host of potential issues!!

    Why don't you all look at either getting a cheap bike each or all replace current steeds with something that can handle a bit of everything? By the sounds of it you guys don't need full on downhill bikes but will have loads of fun on an agressive XC bike(full suss or hardtail).
    Ride Crash Ride Again
  • You're 42. Most people your age are buying porsches, divorcing their wives and shacking up with 20 year old pole-dancers.
    (at least that's what my mate has done) :lol:
    Whereas I'm about to buy a new bike - the budget has suddenly jumped from £800 to £1800 and is still rising.
    Even the missus has said, "buy what you want - the way you ride it could be the last bike you ever own!"
    (Don't know if that is a positive or a negative thing)

    If you are into your riding, start spending.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • tseniortsenior Posts: 664
    If you are into your riding, start spending.

    contrary to the prevailing wisdom round here, you dont have to spend alot of money to go mountainbiking :?

    i dont have any choice in the matter: the older i get and the more i earn, the less disposable income i seem to have :( the last bike related purchase for the forseeable future was yesterday; spare drivetrain parts and tyres, how boring!
  • weeksy59weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    sounds perfectly normal to me and my mates too matey :)

    The brusies, jumps and lying on the floor thinking "You sill old sod" (only 40yesterday)
  • Keith1983Keith1983 Posts: 575
    Sounds like a poor excuse for a mid life crisis! Now go and spend at least a couple of grand on a bike you might not use much and then you can call it a mid life crisis!
  • TownyDCTownyDC Posts: 157
    grow up............. :D

    signed

    Dave
    Aged 41 (doing exactly the same thing)
  • diydiy Posts: 6,473
    You do have to be careful, I came across a guy on a DH bike, full face lid etc riding a very tame trail (telegraph row at holmbury hill for those who know), extremely slowly. We were filming and we had to stop because we were pissing ourselves too much. I'd post the vid of the rider on youtube if it would not utterly humiliate him.

    One thing to note, most cameras completely flatten a trail - you want something like a go pro to make it look more extreme than it is.

    But yes - as someone in the 40+ club also, it is rather sad that I take my "big BMX" as the wife call it out to play every weekend.
  • cooldadcooldad Posts: 32,599
    Post it anyway.
    But with that sort of rig, was probably shagged from riding the first section.
    I don't do smileys.

    There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

    London Calling on Facebook

    Parktools
  • lostboysaintlostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    diy wrote:
    One thing to note, most cameras completely flatten a trail - you want something like a go pro to make it look more extreme than it is.

    The Go-pro is as bad as most for that, if not worse. It's down to the field of vision that it uses. 170deg on the standard and 130deg on the HD. Unsurprisingly the HD doesn't flatten everything quite as badly. We use allsorts of cameras in waves for surfing and windsurfing as well as using them on mountain bikes and there's no substitute for a decent narrow field video (or still) camera!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • ShacksterShackster Posts: 257
    diy wrote:
    a very tame trail

    Ooh I don't know, it's got that HUGE drop-off near the bottom! :D

    Definitely need body armour for that! :roll: Could get nasty if you don't do it right...there is that large root in the landing area (which of course me and my radical mates clear easily).

    (speaking as one who's about to go over 40 next Friday and bought a full-sus earlier this year....)
    2011 Canyon XC 8.0 (Monza Race Red)
    1996(?) dyna-tech titanium HT; pace RC-35's; Hope Ti Hubs etc etc
    Bianchi Road Bike
  • Keith1983 wrote:
    Sounds like a poor excuse for a mid life crisis! Now go and spend at least a couple of grand on a bike you might not use much and then you can call it a mid life crisis!
    +1

    :D:D:D:D:D:D
  • S-MS-M Posts: 174
    I had my mid life crysis when i hit 23 :lol:

    At 21-22 i gave up fast cars, bought a sensible vectra diesel and then tried to settle down and get on with life.

    At 23 i came to my senses and flogged the stupid diesel car, then bought an impreza, which i then proceeded to spend a further 13k (yes, owch! and that was mostly just parts), until the recession hit, i got rid and grew up (again)

    I started my second mid life crysis this year, around 16 years after i last rode a bike (now 33), i picked up another bike, and to be honest i have pretty much smashed myself to bits the last few months, i will be onto my 6th week on sunday since i had a huge crash, i still can not get through a day without pain killers and i still walk with a limp, my rib cage is still hassling me, although i think it has nearly stuck itself back together, i was happy that my shoulder did not dislocate (again) as this popped out of its socket about 3 months ago.

    I can actually now ride a bike for 15 mile before my hip will not allow me to continue, its easier to ride a bike than walk because it is not really bearing any weight.

    To be honest i am fooooking sick of pain, about 3 months worth of it now and its getting a little tiring, MULTIPLE times i have thought "wtf am i doing" codine, co-codamol, diclofenac, enought Ibroprofen to make a bomb and i might as well have been sprinkling paracetemol on my food instead of traditional condiments.

    Yet 2 nights ago when i was out doing 15 mile on the bike (it seams great for physio on the mangled hip tbh) i rode past the scene of my last big crash, went down a little berm/downhill section and thought "yeeeehaaaaawwww" :lol::lol::lol::lol:

    Yet i sit here in front of this pc, with a box of Paracetemol and Ibroprofen beside me as my knee/hip hurt sitting on this fooking office chair.

    Itching to get my crashed FSR bike fixed and give it another go :lol:
    1999 Specialized FSR Elite MAX Backbone.
    1998 Specialized FSR Ground Control - stripped for parts.
    2011 Boardman Pro HT - SOLD! (low quality, expensive garbage)
  • Stu CoopsStu Coops Posts: 426
    S-M wrote:
    I had my mid life crysis when i hit 23 :lol:

    At 21-22 i gave up fast cars, bought a sensible vectra diesel and then tried to settle down and get on with life.

    At 23 i came to my senses and flogged the stupid diesel car, then bought an impreza, which i then proceeded to spend a further 13k (yes, owch! and that was mostly just parts), until the recession hit, i got rid and grew up (again)

    I started my second mid life crysis this year, around 16 years after i last rode a bike (now 33), i picked up another bike, and to be honest i have pretty much smashed myself to bits the last few months, i will be onto my 6th week on sunday since i had a huge crash, i still can not get through a day without pain killers and i still walk with a limp, my rib cage is still hassling me, although i think it has nearly stuck itself back together, i was happy that my shoulder did not dislocate (again) as this popped out of its socket about 3 months ago.

    I can actually now ride a bike for 15 mile before my hip will not allow me to continue, its easier to ride a bike than walk because it is not really bearing any weight.

    To be honest i am fooooking sick of pain, about 3 months worth of it now and its getting a little tiring, MULTIPLE times i have thought "wtf am i doing" codine, co-codamol, diclofenac, enought Ibroprofen to make a bomb and i might as well have been sprinkling paracetemol on my food instead of traditional condiments.

    Yet 2 nights ago when i was out doing 15 mile on the bike (it seams great for physio on the mangled hip tbh) i rode past the scene of my last big crash, went down a little berm/downhill section and thought "yeeeehaaaaawwww" :lol::lol::lol::lol:

    Yet i sit here in front of this pc, with a box of Paracetemol and Ibroprofen beside me as my knee/hip hurt sitting on this fooking office chair.

    Itching to get my crashed FSR bike fixed and give it another go :lol:
    Know exactly how you feel but still funny to read my problem is my mind can do things my body can't on a mountain bike :roll:
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • diydiy Posts: 6,473
    cooldad wrote:
    Post it anyway.
    But with that sort of rig, was probably shagged from riding the first section.

    I'm gonna take this down in a while - its not nice to take the pee.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-u-NbFc5qM
  • 386ka386ka Posts: 479
    diy wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    Post it anyway.
    But with that sort of rig, was probably shagged from riding the first section.

    I'm gonna take this down in a while - its not nice to take the pee.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-u-NbFc5qM
    What is the song in the background?
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • If I did the socialising thing better than I do, that would sound pretty normal to me...nothing mid-life or crisis about it...why you worrying? Who is suggesting you are too old for this? Sack them off and upgrade to someone with a younger outlook in life!
    The Quest for Singletrack is Endless...
  • 1mancity21mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    diy wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    Post it anyway.
    But with that sort of rig, was probably shagged from riding the first section.

    I'm gonna take this down in a while - its not nice to take the pee.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-u-NbFc5qM

    Poor guy!!

    Im almost 42 and I have changed my bike to 160mm travel for the big hits, wasn't getting any air 3months ago now Im going at least 2inch high!!!
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • diydiy Posts: 6,473
    386ka wrote:
    diy wrote:
    What is the song in the background?
    random youtube music.
  • Mate, I feel your pain, I had exactly this, I am 37 and have in the last six month dusted off the old bike and am charging around Wharncliffe Woods 2 mins from where I live. I was having a breather the other day on my local trail and two young whipper snappers, fully body armoured up, came charging past me at a speed I can't reach in my car! jumping off stuff I would only go down on my censored . It really made me think and then I had two revelations. I was at the carpark of my trail and three guys that were 50+ came out of the woods on Full Sus bikes covered in mud with massive smiles on their faces and on the same day I was looking up Steve Peat who was the DH world champion from a few years back.... I was amazed to find out he is exactly the same age as me and it's not slowing him down. So the message is.. charge hard my friend, it may hurt a little more when you come off but it's just as much fun. They also say, it is healthy to scare yourself at least once a day. Cheers. John.
    It's better to burn out than to fade away!!
  • msp1msp1 Posts: 59
    diy wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    Post it anyway.
    But with that sort of rig, was probably shagged from riding the first section.

    I'm gonna take this down in a while - its not nice to take the pee.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-u-NbFc5qM

    Just hope he doesn't see it first, may change his outlook on things.
  • tenfoottenfoot Posts: 226
    DickBarton wrote:
    Who is suggesting you are too old for this? Sack them off and upgrade to someone with a younger outlook in life!

    Amen to that.

    Phil, Aged 44 (currently faster than all my younger mates :lol: )
  • voodoomanvoodooman Posts: 183
    Some interesting comments to read.

    I've tried going faster and it does make the jumps easier - no holding back (except for the refrain in my head - kids, wife, mortgage) from now on.javascript:emoticon(':wink:')

    As for getting older, it's me saying it and once you get over 40 at a decent standard of football and cricket there's no hiding place as your pace drops. Funnily enough, I'm the oldest of my cycling mates, and the quickest, but only uphill.

    Now the next challenge after years of team sport is some kind of vets duathlon / triathlon including mountain bikes and cross country running. I'm based in Southampton, are there any good ones around?
  • voodoomanvoodooman Posts: 183
    Blog emoticon fail. D'oh.
  • DukiDuki Posts: 53
    It's not a mid life crisis least I hope not. I've always used a bike as a mode of transport ever since my school days (slate and chalk) but only really got into more serious biking about 10 years ago when I bought a high spec road bike second hand off a mate and started doing road riding.

    About the same time I bought a Scott Yecora mountain bike for biking to work in the really bad Manchester weather but I never seriously off roaded with it. Just the occasional towpath thrash.

    Then a couple of years back my son decided to take up mountain biking, actually more dirt jump and street riding. Then we went on holiday to Scotland hired bikes at Mabie and I was hooked.

    I'm 49.5 years old had my Boardman FS Pro for a year, visited Mabie, Dalbeattie, Llandegla and Nant y Arian and had the time of my life. I might not be fit or fast but I thoroughly enjoy myself. Gonna try Gisburn with some mates from work on Thursday if I can get the time off. So if your there and some fat bloke on a Boardman holds you back, sorry in advance.
  • diydiy Posts: 6,473
    voodooman wrote:

    Now the next challenge after years of team sport is some kind of vets duathlon / triathlon including mountain bikes and cross country running. I'm based in Southampton, are there any good ones around?

    if you drop the running bit, the sowthdowns randonee organised by the BHF is a good test of endurance (june and july). Its not an easy ride and something you have to train hard for, but very rewarding. 100 miles and 3500m of climbing - will take you 10-12 hours (pro) 12-14 (hours good).
  • voodoomanvoodooman Posts: 183
    Cheers diy

    Think that might be just the ticket. Can't see any entry form for next year, but read some interesting posts from previous events.

    12 hours plus in the saddle - my censored hurts just thinking about it.
Sign In or Register to comment.