Forum home Road cycling forum Tours, routes, audaxes & organised rides Sportives/audaxes/training rides

cheshire cat 2012

copper585copper585 Posts: 141
cheshire cat 2012 confirmed sunday 25 march, entries open 1 Nov, this year includes Gun Hill.

Posts

  • thegibdogthegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Has Gun Hill moved then?
  • de_sistide_sisti Posts: 1,193
    Three route options are available: 45 miles (£22.50), 74 miles (£30) and 100 miles (£33).

    What's to stop someone paying £22.50 for the privilege of riding the 45 mile route,
    but "veering off course" to ride the 100 mile route, especially if they've got their own
    computer on their bike to record times/mileage and aren't bothered about an official
    time and the bag of goodies at the end?
  • bigpiklebigpikle Posts: 1,690
    Often the numbers given to riders are different co ours for different routes so if you turn up at a feed station with the wrong co our number you might raise an eyebrow, but generally these things are all honesty based for the most part.
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • jgsijgsi Posts: 5,027
    thegibdog wrote:
    Has Gun Hill moved then?

    not to mention that Mow Cop is Staffordshire as well....
  • petemadocpetemadoc Posts: 2,667
    De Sisti wrote:
    Three route options are available: 45 miles (£22.50), 74 miles (£30) and 100 miles (£33).

    What's to stop someone paying £22.50 for the privilege of riding the 45 mile route,
    but "veering off course" to ride the 100 mile route, especially if they've got their own
    computer on their bike to record times/mileage and aren't bothered about an official
    time and the bag of goodies at the end?

    What's to stop someone not paying anything for the privilege of riding the 100 mile route on a public road. Carry your own food, time yourself on a watch and you don't have to stand in a queue in the freezing cold for an hour before starting . . . . . Oh and you won't be contributing to landfill buy getting a pointless goody bag which you'll throw away when you get home. If this event finished a few miles over the border in Wales they'd have to charge you 5p for that bag :wink:
  • garetjaxgaretjax Posts: 175
    Cheshire Cat 2011 was my first ever sportive and basically put me off. The starting queue was a farce. Standing in a busy car park , freezing cold, watching people push in ( normally brummies for some odd reason). I didn't bother signing on in the end and just rode the route. The trouble is, I enjoyed the ride because even the organisers can't mess up great scenery and camaraderie. So, i'm not sure what to do about Cheshire Cat 2012. I might just show up and follow the arrows but not use the feedstops.
  • I did the cat the year before and it took ages to get going, I was put off so did not bother last year.

    This time I booked in to give me an early focus to winter training...only to find kilo had server crashes and they then offered discounts to everyone.... Everyone that hadn't booked on....they ignore my contacts....

    Not a good start. And not even looking forward to it... :(
  • mattjcmattjc Posts: 36
    Also signed up for Next year's Cat, not done this one before, if you were on there mailing list you would have had an email a few days before it went live with the 25% discount code, took me 3 hours to sign up though also, must of been alot of people trying to get signed on with the discount code as soon as it went live

    Mat
  • garetjax wrote:
    Cheshire Cat 2011 was my first ever sportive and basically put me off. The starting queue was a farce. Standing in a busy car park , freezing cold, watching people push in ( normally brummies for some odd reason). I didn't bother signing on in the end and just rode the route. The trouble is, I enjoyed the ride because even the organisers can't mess up great scenery and camaraderie. So, i'm not sure what to do about Cheshire Cat 2012. I might just show up and follow the arrows but not use the feedstops.

    I have noticed that skipping the feeding zones to get a better finish is common practice these days. I suggest you stop by the feeding zone, out of sight and as you see a few riders ignoring them, help yourself to the table and avoid all that food to be wasted.

    Don't feel bad about it, you're doing it for all the other riders, If you don't do it, next year they'll order less food, but the price won't go down as a result.
  • cougiecougie Posts: 22,512
    Whats the route like for this ? (CBA getting a logon to see on their site)

    I've done it twice before when it started in Knutsford - first year was good - the route was hilly, but spaced out well.
    The next year was flat for the first 50 miles and then all the hills close together after that. I hated that version, so I've not ridden it since.
  • Cleat EastwoodCleat Eastwood Posts: 7,510
    edited November 2011
    cougie wrote:
    Whats the route like for this ? (CBA getting a logon to see on their site)

    I've done it twice before when it started in Knutsford - first year was good - the route was hilly, but spaced out well.
    The next year was flat for the first 50 miles and then all the hills close together after that. I hated that version, so I've not ridden it since.


    this is the 74 miler that i've entered.

    well it seems you have to be logged in to see even external links, so heres a screen grab of the 74 route

    route.jpg
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • JamesBJamesB Posts: 1,184
    where`s the start this year then? Can`t make it out from maps on KTG site
    ta
  • JamesB wrote:
    where`s the start this year then? Can`t make it out from maps on KTG site
    ta


    It starts from Crewes footy stadium in gresty road.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • cougiecougie Posts: 22,512
    Ta Cleat !
  • hmbadgerhmbadger Posts: 181
    garetjax wrote:
    Cheshire Cat 2011 was my first ever sportive and basically put me off. The starting queue was a farce. Standing in a busy car park , freezing cold, watching people push in ( normally brummies for some odd reason). I didn't bother signing on in the end and just rode the route. The trouble is, I enjoyed the ride because even the organisers can't mess up great scenery and camaraderie. So, i'm not sure what to do about Cheshire Cat 2012. I might just show up and follow the arrows but not use the feedstops.

    I have noticed that skipping the feeding zones to get a better finish is common practice these days. I suggest you stop by the feeding zone, out of sight and as you see a few riders ignoring them, help yourself to the table and avoid all that food to be wasted.

    Don't feel bad about it, you're doing it for all the other riders, If you don't do it, next year they'll order less food, but the price won't go down as a result.

    Why not just pop into the local co-op or Tesco and steal from food and drink from there instead? :?
  • This is the first sportive I've ever seen that charges more, the further you ride... Seems a little odd to me
    Twitter: @FunkyMrMagic
  • hmbadgerhmbadger Posts: 181
    This is the first sportive I've ever seen that charges more, the further you ride... Seems a little odd to me

    Quite normal I think. I've definitely encountered it before. Logical - more feed stops, more effort for signs, marshalls, whatever.
Sign In or Register to comment.