Campagnolo Khamsin wheels: worth considering?

jonny_trousers
jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
edited October 2011 in Commuting chat
My Easton EA50s are doing my head in and as PBK has the Khamsins on for just £82.50 I was wondering if they might be worth a go as a winter/commuter wheelset. I've read mixed reviews, but would appreciate your input.

Comments

• Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    I haven't tried Khamsins, but I do have Neutrons and Eurus, they are excellent and Campag wheels in general are very good and usually very reliable. I reckon at that price they are a bargain.
  • HamishD
    HamishD Posts: 538
    Bargain - buy.

You do have Campag gruppo though, yes?
  • HamishD wrote:
    Bargain - buy.

You do have Campag gruppo though, yes?

:lol: Yes'm.

My finger is closing in on the trigger. Thanks lads!
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    My Sciroccos were fantastic. Still true seven years later.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Bit heavy (but then they are low-price) but well made, borked the rear of my set in an argument with a cattle grid but I have no doubt they'd still be going strong otherwise.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Just to add to my less than scientific post above - a colleague of mine is running a 4 year old set and rides daily, they are still running well and true.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Yes buy if the price is good, I have them and found them a bit slower to spin up but rock solid so far.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    Mine have been bomb proof.

Great wheels for the price.
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • Done!

Thanks for the advice all! Having just spent another hour or so ripping my thumbs to shreds trying to fit my tyre back onto the EA50 (and I suspect having fitted a tube with a slow puncture), I decided I couldn't take it anymore and hit the buy button on the Khamsins. The comparable wheelsets by Mavic and Fulcrum don't come anywhere near beating the PBK price and as I have no intention of racing on them, they will hopefully do the job very nicely.

Cheers!
  • Done!...just spent another hour or so ripping my thumbs to shreds trying to fit my tyre back onto the EA50 (and I suspect having fitted a tube with a slow puncture)

I did, only it wasn't so slow. Bollox!

Better get some new tubes in in anticipation. Anyone know what size valves you need for the Khasims?

Ta
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    If you are buying them to make it easier to fit tyres you would have been better off buying new thumbs!

Having owned Khamsins, Vento's and Siroccos I can assure you that tyres do not fall onto Campag rims (yes I locate the beads in the wells and all that). Putting Pro3's on my Siroccos is harder that fitting Marathon Plus's (which I did as a test :) ) and loads of fun in the rain on a lonely country road :cry:

Khamsins make excellent commuting wheels though, espcially at that price
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • I'm glad for the positive responses as I pulled the trigger when they were £79 on ribble a couple of weeks ago for my winter bike, and I opened this thread in slight dread that I had got a poor set of wheels!
    Look 675 Light Di2
    Boardman Pro C winter hack
    Cannondale Prophet
    Decathlon Hub geared City bike
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    Coach H wrote:
    If you are buying them to make it easier to fit tyres you would have been better off buying new thumbs!

Having owned Khamsins, Vento's and Siroccos I can assure you that tyres do not fall onto Campag rims (yes I locate the beads in the wells and all that). Putting Pro3's on my Siroccos is harder that fitting Marathon Plus's (which I did as a test :) ) and loads of fun in the rain on a lonely country road :cry:

It must differ from year to year then as I can remove my Conti GP4000s's from my Khamsins without a tyre lever and have to be extremely careful to ensure the tyre is properly seating when inflating them as the bead has a tendency not to seat properly leading to a blow outas the tube tries to escape. Damn good wheels though, I've run them for 18 months or so including racing on them when I didn't have anything better and they've only ever needed to be trued when I've crashed
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • Coach H wrote:

Bugger!

They can't be worse than EA50s, though. They are famous for being a nightmare. Please, for the love of God, tell me they are better...
  • Jehannum
    Jehannum Posts: 107
    I have a pair as my winter wheels. They're about three years old now, and I think they're pretty decent, robust wheels. Beaded tyres *are* hard to get on, but not impossible. They roll pretty well.

The only real problem I had with mine is that the edges of the recesses for the spokes are left quite sharp and unless you have very good rim tape, can cause punctures with high pressures in the tubes [ > 100 psi ]. I used a piece of medium grade wet & dry paper to soften the edges on mine and got better rim tape, and have had no trouble since.

£80-odd quid sounds like a good price; they were £115 a pair at CRC 12 months ago.

HTH,

J.
    Reduce your carbon footprint - ride a metal bike!