waterproof trousers-which ones do people reccommend?

dogxcd
dogxcd Posts: 67
edited October 2011 in Road buying advice
looking for a pair of trousers for training in on days when bib longs arent enough

www search suggest endura/altura

which do people have experience of-are the waterproof endura bibs truly waterproof

thanks
d
i thought titanium was for life ,not just for xmas

Comments

• rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Try washing your own bib longs in Nikwax Techwash (they have several types for diferent fabrics), it works pretty well. But nothing will ever be truly waterproof unless it's immensly sweaty - so u get wet anyway!
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Never bother with waterproof trousers as my legs are running with sweat when wearing longs so pointless. More important to keep warm than dry but i do wear a decent w'proof jacket if it's raining.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Never had cause to use waterproof trousers in 30 years of riding.
    Waterproof wouldn't be breathable so you would get very sweaty legs. Just as wet as the rain ?
    Get some mudguards and that will keep most of the water off and maybe look for ones with wind proof fronts if you're really concerned about the cold ?
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Just bought Castelli Nanoflex leg warmers and bibs. Excellent waterproof quality.
  • I've used Altura 3/4 length waterproof shorts over bib longs in foul weather on my MTB. Found them very effective as they keep thighs dry (which is worst part for me), but still breath well as they are not full length.

On my road bike, I've found Gore Windstopper tights work well in the wet. Although not waterproof they reduce the windchill which is (IMO) the worst part of getting wet. The windproofing is on the front of the tights, so again breathability remains good.

I think it's more about keeping warm (i.e. no windchill when wet) than keeping dry.