Cyclocross different size?

mountaincookie
mountaincookie Posts: 292
edited October 2011 in Road buying advice
Hi

Trying to buy a cyclocross bike second hand bike - I'm on the taller size of 5'5'' - am I write in thinking I'll be needing 52cm rather than 54?

Cheers

Comments

• solboy
    solboy Posts: 368
    The rule of thumb seems to be you need to go down one size however i ride a 56cm and recently bought a 56cm cross bike. standover height off road is an issue but i love the fit of the bike and would not want to go smaller. That said i also looked at a CAADX and in a 56cm that was huge. I guess like always it comes down to whats right for you rather than just buying a certain size as there are clearly significant variations between manufacterers.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    You'll definitely benefit from sizing down from your road bike as you'll appreciate the extra clearance if you stop suddenly on rough ground. People tend to run their cross bikes a little shorter and the bars slightly higher as you want to be able to shift your weight around more on slippy conditions. I'm of similar stature and would say that a 54cm road bike frame would be too big anyway.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Cheers, that makes sense. Hard to find bikes small enough for me!
  • Supergoose
    Supergoose Posts: 1,089
    Its worth noting that some x bikes have a higher bb height to assist in navigating uneven terrain. So the frames are no bigger, but stand taller, allied with the suggestion that a smaller or at least shorter frame is more desirable it becomes difficult to select a bike which fits best for purpose.

I am 5'11 and I use a 54 cm x bike, a 56cm is way too big for me. The measurements mean nothing to be honest. You have to try it out.

Dont even start on 'effective top tube ' length!

Best advice is try them for size and make sure your crown jewels clear the top tube at standover.
    Rock 'n' Roule
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    You need to look at the geometry and not go off the headline size figure (do you even know if the stated 52 size is seat tube or top tube measurement?). Cross bikes often have different geometries to their road equivalents which takes into account their intended use so going between a road bike and cross bike from the same manufacturer chances are you'd stick with the same size.
  • Cheers for the advice....as always it comes down to ''try before you buy!''