Santa Cruz Tallboy

klingej
klingej Posts: 17
edited October 2011 in Your mountain bikes
Hi,

My fun-bike. Perfect for he terrain in Denmark; mostly forest, lots of roots, steep but short climbs, lots of mud... However, it also handle a trip to the Basque Country and the Spanish Pyrenees just fine.

Have been having loads of fun on this - strongly recommende. The rims are a bit noodly, but I'm not a big guy so not a real problem. May change to the new Am classic 29 Race wheen in January.

The Aspen tyres are my race tyres and are fantastic in dry hardpack, not so much in anything else. My do-it-all is 2.4 Maxxis Ardent up front and 2.25 Maxxiss Crossmark in the back.

Enjoy!

Frame: Santa Cruz Tallboy, M
Forks: Fox 32 Float 29 100 FIT RLC, 15 mm thru-axle
Bars: Answer Protaper carbon
Stem: Thomson X4, 70 mm
Headset: Chris King
Grips: Specialized Ergo

Brakes: XTR M985 Trail

Shifters: XTR m980
Front Mech: XTR
Rear Mech: XTR
Cranks: XTR 3x10
Cassette: XTR 11-36
Pedals: Eggbeaters
Bottom Bracket: XTR

Seat: Fizik Gobi carbon
Seat Post: Thomson masterpiece
Seat Post Clamp: Santa Cruz

Front Wheel
Rim: Stans Crest
Spokes: DT Swiss Revolution
Hub: Am Classic Disc 130
Tube: Tubeless
Tire: Maxxis Aspen 2.0

Front Wheel
Rim: Stans Crest
Spokes: DT Swiss Revolution
Hub: Am Classic Disc 225
Tube: Tubeless
Tire: Maxxis Aspen 2.0

Weight: unknown, somewhere btw 10.5 and 11 kgs. Nearer 11 i think

img0411sq.jpg

img0412wo.jpg

Comments

• Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    Nice looking bike.

one question on the rims though, when you say a bit noodly, what do you mean?

I only ask as I'm in the market for a set of 29'er wheels and fancy the crests on Hope Pro II Evo hubs.
  • lofty102
    lofty102 Posts: 138
    Nice bike, but when ever I see a 29er I can't help thinking that the wheels look way to big or the frame looks small. But still, that's a nice bike!!
    2010 Mondraker Factor RR
    2014 canyon ultimate cf 9.0 sl
    2016 Planet x pro carbon
    2017 Scott Spark 730
  • klingej
    klingej Posts: 17
    Thanks!

Was going for the understated look and might have the frae and fork lowers painted this winter to something more... black :)

By noodly i mean that the Crests are race-rims and weigh something like 340g in 29 size. That means that there's not much 'material' in them so they're not very stiff laterally, which can be felt when going over roots or the like in sharp turns - they deflect a bit. Not a problem for me, though, but if you're more than say 75 kgs (165 pounds) I'd look at something else. Also, they're very narrow, which means that even huge tires (Ardent 2.4) doesn't expand to their given width so you don't get the full benefit of it.

Agree about the look of the big wheels, especially on a smallish bikes as this. I still think it looks funny and I've had 8 months to get used to it :D Rides like nothing else though!

/Jonas