Giant Defy 2 2012

tobiii95
tobiii95 Posts: 43
edited November 2011 in Road buying advice
Hi,
I have heard that the defy series is very good and am looking to get a bike around the quality of the the Giant Defy 2. Is this a good place to start for my first bike? I ave also seen that the new 2012 stock has come in to my local bike shop. Is it worth going for the new Defy 2 that has the Tiagra sifters or the 2011 model or even the Defy 3.
Thanks, Toby

Comments

• Whats your budget Toby?

Some great deals on 2011 models at the moment as 2012 ones have just been released.
    allterraincycles & Paulscycles both had 2011 bikes on offer.

Just bought Defy 4 as thats all budget would stretch to but can't fault it at the price, frames are good & with the 3 or 2 you get better spec kit
    I also looked at Specialized but Defy just seemed a better fit for me personally, but would have alook at one of these as well, but you will get a good deal on Defy at the moment.

After 27 years without a road bike after 10 days I am up to 8 miles a night & over 20 each Sat & Sunday, best move I made in a longtime :D
  • My budget is around £500 - 650 (absolute max - i would like to keep it in the £500 region)
  • You should be able to get a 2011 Defy 2 for that money. I have a Defy 2 which I bought back in May and I'm quite pleased with it. The only thing I didn't like were the tyres which I changed for some conti gatorskins.

I expect the 2012 Defy 2 is going to be a bit over your budget. I notice the RRP of the 2012 model is a good bit higher than it was for the 2011 model.
  • Has anyone brought this bike and had experience with it?
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    2012 has an updated frame.. I was at my lbs and when tapping the top tube, it sounds different, doesn't have the metallic sound that you'd expect.

I'd personally go for the 2012 version. I've got the 2010 version which is identical (bar a paintjob) to the 2011 version and it's great. 2012 is supposed to be even better.