What tunes do you cycle to?

MrGeebs
MrGeebs Posts: 62
edited October 2011 in MTB general
For me I have to cycle with music on, having some nice tunes on while freewheeling down hills and tracks with the sun out adds to the experience a whole lot. Also having some nice aggresive tunes on to climb with really gets me grinding hard & strong.

I prefer dance music, the repetitive beats seem to coincide with the peal action. Drum N Bass is what I prefer, some Calibre, LTJ Bukem, Sub Focus, Dj Shadow does it for me, you get the idea.

btw I'm 36 :evil: :D
um .. . . . .

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    None. I like the sounds of woods and riding.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • moggy82
    moggy82 Posts: 726
    None, i dont like hospitals, i like to hear whats coming, after Rachel Athertons music related crash in LA theres no way id listen to music.
  • Wasn't she on the road though?

I like running to music but not found any tunes I like riding to though...
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • cooldad
    edited October 2011
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • MrGeebs
    not sure I understand mrdad, toy horses? what am i missing?
    um .. . . . .
  • cooldad wrote:

Brilliant!
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    cooldad wrote:
    None. I like the sounds of woods and riding.

^^ this
  • cooldad
    MrGeebs wrote:
    not sure I understand mrdad, toy horses? what am i missing?
    Inane forum joke.
    See also the extended remix
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... nded+remix
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • MrGeebs
    currently on the web at work so no sound on this machine.
    um .. . . . .
  • cooldad
    Lucky for you
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    after Rachel Athertons riding on the wrong side of the road related crash in LA there's no way I'd take switchbacks on the other side of the road in the vain hope there's no car there.

FTFY

I listen to music on the road, although not when commuting into Central London, but never on the MTB. I have a playlist of about 100 songs, with a bit of absolutely everything in there. For hill reps you just can't beat a bit of Crank That by Soulja Boy or New Noise by Refused.

Don't really get the 'you can't hear what's coming' argument - I can't hear anyway because of the wind, and how do you tell the difference between the sound of a car that's about to overtake, and one which will mow you down? Should you get off the road every time a car comes? I'd make little progress it must be said.

I only don't bother in London because it's nice to chat to people!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If you need music, you're not having fun.
  • Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    effectively you are removing one of your senses though - generally (unless leathering it down hill) you can hear cars behind you and so have a better awareness of your surroundings.

I never ski or bike with music...anything that can increase your risk of an accident is bloody silly if you ask me.

Fark I am sounding old.... :shock:
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    generally (unless leathering it down hill) you can hear cars behind you and so have a better awareness of your surroundings.

I can't! In fact, I hear 'phantom' cars more without headphones, headphones seem to block out the wind noise, so I can often hear things like cars better anyway. I don't ride differently if there are cars there, if you enjoy swerving irratically into the middle of the road then I can see the merit ;-)
  • johnsav
    johnsav Posts: 775
    cycling on my own its trance, usually above and beyond podcasts.
    cycling with others, none!

i cant really see how its dangerous unless your on the road worrying about traffic.
  • johnsav
    johnsav Posts: 775
    cycling on my own its trance, usually above and beyond podcasts.
    cycling with others, none!

i cant really see how its dangerous unless your on the road worrying about traffic.
  • cooldad
    Unless you have trouble concentrating, and do vague things like post twice.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • i only have mine on when on my own, and then its on random, i dont have it loud that i cant hear traffic, or even people but enough so that i can hear it! i Always say hello to people i see, pass on the rides so is nice to be able to hear the replies, ive never found it dangerous, i do find it helps me concetrate a bit more on my trails,
    iron maiden Powerslave, phantom of the opera or transilvania are great for nice long single track sections, and oddly, Aretha franklin is quite good to ride too!!
    solid steel radio sessions are great as are normally an hour long and great tunes!!

the whole Because Rachel Atherton crashed listening to music thing, whilst i understand, if you looked at that and used the same for everyone you'd simply Never do anything apart from live insidee a sterile bubble???
    iirc she was on the wrong side of the road at the time of the crash?? concentrating on speed and head down, but the wrong side the road,
    how many of the downhillers have had serious injury from accidents on the course from hammering it down hill?? doesnt stop most of us having a go though! :wink:
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • tenfoot
    tenfoot Posts: 226
    I prefer the sound of the wheels turning and trees and nature moving around me. There aren't many times in the day when you can experience relative peace and quiet, so I relish it when I'm out.

I'll save music for driving.
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    Slayer - Raining Blood on repeat.
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    Pendulum
    Prodigy
    A selection of dance music
  • On the MTB I like to listen to mother nature around me. As others have said, it's the peace and quiet I love.
    When commuting on the road, I like listening to the radio. It's not that loud, I can hear cars passing me by easily enough. I don't see how it will stop a car hitting me. If it's going to, it's going to.
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • ADL
    ADL Posts: 138
    The music of Hope