Cycling around leeds

jonnyroberts250
jonnyroberts250 Posts: 35
edited October 2011 in The bottom bracket
Hey everyone, i have recently moved to the headingley area of leeds and orginally being from durham was used to just choosing a road and most would just be countryside and hills, i am struggling to find many decent roads everywhere just seems so busy and flat. If anyone with local knowledge would share where all the decent roads are hiding would be much appreciated.
Thanks Jonny.

Comments

• beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    I'm not sure how Leeds and flat come into the same sentence but I suppose the area around Durham is quite hilly.
    I'm not sure what distances you consider viable but the following is a fair summary of the area (with my very rough estimates of mileage to the furthest point!):
    Head north from Headlingley into the Wharfe valley and towards Harrogate (12-15mls) you'll get undulating countryside with some short but challenging hills. Keep away from the main 'A' roads and there's some excellent cycling runs. Routes around Kirkby Overblow are favourites of mine. The route from Otley to Pately Bridge (30mls) is excellent if a little busy.
    Head more towards the west and you're into some pretty serious climbing. East Chevin road out of Otley (8 mls) and the Pasture Lane/Hanging Stone Lane/Moor Road (12 mls) route out of Ilkley are particularly vertical. Bolton Abbey (20), Burnsall (25) and Grassington (30) are also good and fairly challenging runs.
    The route due west via Rawdon and Guisely towards Shipley (12-15 mls) and then back down the Aire valley towards Calverly is a good run. You can also turn right from Shipley towards Saltaire, Keighley (15-18 mls) and Bingley before cutting back over the moors towards Addingham (20 mls) and Ilkley.
    To the South you're into industrial West Yorkshire and invariably busy roads. You also have longer if not steeper hills than to the north west. Perhaps try going out towards Guildersome (15 mls) and the Spen valley. Routes around Dewsbury (25 mls) are also challenging.
    Most routes to the east are fairly flat once you get out of the urban sprawl. There are endless lightly trafficked backroads to enjoy though – it’s perhaps an area better for longer distances than challenging rides though.
    If you want to put the bike on the roof of the car and go a little further the route from the North York “park and ride” (35 mls) to Helmsley is excellent, as is Brighouse(15 mls)-Scammonden-Denshaw-Ripponden-Brighouse. I particularly like the routes within the area bounded by (30 mls) Barnsley, Ossett, Huddersfield, Saddleworth and Holmfirth but they’re a good 40-50 min drive from Headingley.
    Bob
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    beverick wrote:
    I'm not sure how Leeds and flat come into the same sentence but I suppose the area around Durham is quite hilly.
    I'm not sure what distances you consider viable but the following is a fair summary of the area (with my very rough estimates of mileage to the furthest point!):
    Head north from Headlingley into the Wharfe valley and towards Harrogate (12-15mls) you'll get undulating countryside with some short but challenging hills. Keep away from the main 'A' roads and there's some excellent cycling runs. Routes around Kirkby Overblow are favourites of mine. The route from Otley to Pately Bridge (30mls) is excellent if a little busy.
    Head more towards the west and you're into some pretty serious climbing. East Chevin road out of Otley (8 mls) and the Pasture Lane/Hanging Stone Lane/Moor Road (12 mls) route out of Ilkley are particularly vertical. Bolton Abbey (20), Burnsall (25) and Grassington (30) are also good and fairly challenging runs.
    The route due west via Rawdon and Guisely towards Shipley (12-15 mls) and then back down the Aire valley towards Calverly is a good run. You can also turn right from Shipley towards Saltaire, Keighley (15-18 mls) and Bingley before cutting back over the moors towards Addingham (20 mls) and Ilkley.
    To the South you're into industrial West Yorkshire and invariably busy roads. You also have longer if not steeper hills than to the north west. Perhaps try going out towards Guildersome (15 mls) and the Spen valley. Routes around Dewsbury (25 mls) are also challenging.
    Most routes to the east are fairly flat once you get out of the urban sprawl. There are endless lightly trafficked backroads to enjoy though – it’s perhaps an area better for longer distances than challenging rides though.
    If you want to put the bike on the roof of the car and go a little further the route from the North York “park and ride” (35 mls) to Helmsley is excellent, as is Brighouse(15 mls)-Scammonden-Denshaw-Ripponden-Brighouse. I particularly like the routes within the area bounded by (30 mls) Barnsley, Ossett, Huddersfield, Saddleworth and Holmfirth but they’re a good 40-50 min drive from Headingley.
    Bob

Wot he said :)
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!