Altura winter cruisers - what up with the length on em?

CRAIGO5000
CRAIGO5000 Posts: 697
edited October 2011 in Commuting chat
Reviews are good for these and with a cold spell the other week, my Endura shorts/cycle shorts combo weren't warm enough. I decided to try and invest in some full length leggings that weren't ridiculously priced to have a name on them.

Most of the reviews say the legs are a touch short on them, but seriously, I'm 5'10 with a 32 inch waist and 33 inch leg and the crotch on both the Medium and Large was around 5 inches too low!? I looked like I had shat myself and there is no way I'm an XL with my vital stats...

What are people wearing that ideally have stirrups and are also water resistant and not a stupid price?

I really had my heart set on them and need an investment before another cold snap occurs.

Ta!
Craig
Ribble Stealth/SRAM Force
2007 Specialized Allez (Double) FCN - 3

Comments

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Legs

No, seriously - forget waterproof leggings / tights / things.

Pointless - they really are. Just get a pair of (thermal) tights and forget the waterproof ballcocks.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Are they really that pointless? I found that I can wear my lycra shorts and overshorts at 5degC. Any lower and it's just too cold for me before I need something to keep me warm.

Reviews of owners say these winter cruiser tights were great as they kept you toastie even at temps as low as -10degC. The splash protection from puddles is a bonus too.

Which thermal tights would you recommend? Do you know of any with stirrups?
    Ribble Stealth/SRAM Force
    2007 Specialized Allez (Double) FCN - 3
  • cookdn
    cookdn Posts: 410
    CRAIGO5000 wrote:
    Most of the reviews say the legs are a touch short on them, but seriously, I'm 5'10 with a 32 inch waist and 33 inch leg and the crotch on both the Medium and Large was around 5 inches too low!? I looked like I had shat myself and there is no way I'm an XL with my vital stats.
    I have the summer weight Altura equivalent. They are designed with a high waistline so that your lower back and kidneys are well covered and not exposed when you are pedalling on the bike.
    Altura%252520Winter%252520Cruisers%25252010.JPG
    You just need to pull them up a bit. :-)
    Boardman CX Team
  • I am also looking for something to keep me warm and hopefully dry on my 30 minute commute.

Last week some days were 4 degrees here and wearing shorts was fine, but I reckon when it goes below zero and is raining or snowing I will need something better.

I was considering either these Winter Cruisers discussed above or the Altura Night Vision Warerproof Trousers http://www.myspokes.co.uk/altura-night-vision-overtrousers-black-sizes-8-18-3605 which are just a few pounds more.

I don't mind a bit of cold but I am wanting to ride in every day, come rain, snow or shine.

Any thoughts?