Oi, 'crossers on cantis!

SimonAH
SimonAH Posts: 3,730
edited October 2011 in Commuting chat
Have you seen the TRP linear pull V's reviewed on BR? I've just emailed.TRP to see if they'll ship to blighty. Even fettled to within an inch.of their lives the cantis on my CAADX105 really suck compared to the DuraAce on the fixie so I reckon I'll give them a go.
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Let me know how you go.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • fidbod
    fidbod Posts: 317
    yep,

thoughts and a review soon as please - heartily sick of avid shorties.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Most brakes would be inferior to DA - and especially on a fixy

They do look interesting though.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    I've looked at these too and asked a question - they do have a retail partner in the UK too - under the contacts page.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    I took a look at that review, then read the review of the other type and it looks like they have the same issue as other V brakes about cable pull. It mentions the need to run the pads very close to the rim and the lever feeling mushy. So, how are these better than regular V brakes? It's not really all that clear though. Are they a bit better than regular V's but with more clearance than MiniV's?
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    That was the question I asked - re cable pull. I run Sram and the review said these are set to work with Sram/Campag levers - I don't want to run Vs with travel adjusters.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    Glad it's not just me. Let me know the answer. I'm on Shimano but would like to hear what they say regarding cable pull.
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    I'm running the Tektro RX5 mini-Vs with Sora levers on my Empella, and they are way better than the cantis that were on there when I got it. More powerful, and a lot less fettling to keep them running.

And when the Frogsleggs were running well they were still dubious, at best.

Howerever, as with all Mini-Vs, they still need running quite close to the rim (which makes getting the wheel off a bit of a faff). But at least running closer to the rim gives them plenty of modulation and fairly good bite even in the wet (it was p*****g down here, yesterday).

Looking at the geometry of the TRP and the RX5, I'd say they'd not be lot different. Both about 85mm long and offering the necessary pad adjustments, but the Tektros being less than 45euros a set.

Late edit - Spa Cycles have them for 15 quid a pair.

HTH
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    I've never had any problem with my cantis - Tektro CR720's with Koolstop pads. Got them for a good price at Ribble.
  • fidbod
    fidbod Posts: 317
    Clank wrote:
    I'm running the Tektro RX5 mini-Vs with Sora levers on my Empella, and they are way better than the cantis that were on there when I got it. More powerful, and a lot less fettling to keep them running.

And when the Frogsleggs were running well they were still dubious, at best.

Looking at the geometry of the TRP and the RX5, I'd say they'd not be lot different. Both about 85mm long and offering the necessary pad adjustments, but the Tektros being less than 45euros a set.

Late edit - Spa Cycles have them for 15 quid a pair.

HTH

At £15 a set, they are well worth a try thanks.

So much for the restricted cycling budget this month!