shimano mw80 DIY upgrade to prevent water ingress.

wyadvd
wyadvd Posts: 590
edited October 2011 in Commuting chat
Just cut the fingers of some clinical gloves (medium size) and they form an extra seal above the neoprene cuff. I can confirm that after 15 minutes playing the power shower head over my mw80s with dry sock on (and my tights pulled down over the gloves), that my socks a 100% dry from toe to ankle.

please see photo here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/N ... directlink

Comments

• Bit less painful than duct tape. Might give it a go when the weather gets really horrid. Don't know why no-one ever thought of selling simple elasticated sleeves for just this job.
    Coffee is not my cup of tea

Moda Fresco track racer
    Kinesis Crosslight Pro 6 winter commuter
    Gunnar Hyper X
    Rocky Mountain ETSX
    Cannondale Scalpel 3000 (retro-bike in bits)
    Lemond Poprad Disc, now retired pending frame re-paint.
  • That's amazing mate!
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    You, sir, are a genius.... I have been looking for a solution to this problem for my overshoes and this looks perfect.
  • wyadvd
    to keep the lower edge from riding up, I tucked it into the velcro at the front of the boot. good close tights keep it from falling down at the top. rode home with them on and they were in same place when I got home. (missed a very heavy thundery shower by 15 minutes unfortunately!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    :shock:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • wyadvd
    is :shock: nunplussed or shocked? He looks pretty nonplussed!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I've long since stopped being amazed by the weird stuff cyclist will do including and post on here :lol:

I take no part in any of it .... :roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Condom over the - AHEM - helmet . . . . . .

I know for a FACT they are very stretchy.

It's the obvious answer to the "caught in the rain whilst cycling" problem . . . . .

I envisage in the next big downpour the gaggle of nodders will dutifully pull over, put on the squeaky waterproof trousers, don the hi vis crisp packet and pop out the ribbed (for her pleasure) durex to pull over their skid lids
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Is that an electronic tag you're wearing on your ankle?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo