Light -v- Heavy Bike - Fat -v- Thin

bails1310
bails1310 Posts: 361
edited October 2011 in Commuting general
May be a stupid question, I've been doing 100 mile p/w commute for the last 12 months on a rather heavy Carerra MTB and lost a good amount of weight in the process.

Just purchased first race bike [Cayo 105] and wondered, if I commute on the better rolling, lighter Cayo, will my output be less than the MTB.

If so, and taking away which I would get more enjoyment from, should I carry on the commute on the MTB and leave the Cay for longer rides?
Kuota Kharma Race [Dry/Sunny]
Raleigh Airlite 100 [Wet/Horrible]

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Bails.... DAD!? :lol:

The Cayo will be much easier to ride on the road, so yes, you'll use less energy, if that's what you're asking? You could always use the time saved to take the scenic route home/to work.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • bails1310
    bails1310 Posts: 361
    My God son, you've not aged well have you!! :shock:

I think it is yes, I've always struggled with my weight to some extent, and fully plan to ring the Cayo's neck when time allows.

I think it was a silly question............don't tell your mother!
    Kuota Kharma Race [Dry/Sunny]
    Raleigh Airlite 100 [Wet/Horrible]
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Wear a big flappy coat and fit some underinflated slow tyres to compensate! :wink:

Actually - just eat a bit less.

I've found my Boardman CX harder work than my Cayo but it's definitely doing me some good. There's something to be said for riding the MTB regularly (maybe when it's wet or something) because it's added resistance. Alternatively, take the Cayo on a detour. You can expect to be 3-4mph faster at least on the road bike (once you get used to it) so, even for the same time outlay, you can cover far more miles.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    If it takes an hour to do 10 miles on the MTB and you take an hour on the Cayo you'll be using less energy becuase you shouln't be trying as hard.

If you rag the cayo and it takes you say 45 minutes (just for example) chances are you're still using the same amount of calories.

Best bet is, whatever bike you're riding, just rag the sh1t out of it :wink:
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I'm slowly getting faster on my Boardman and closing the gap on my Cayo times. I'm tempted to jump on the Cayo to see how my times are doing on that because I'm sure I'm both fitter and lighter. Trouble is I'd need to do a few days to get a proper steer.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH