Winter tyres and wheels?

mickisup
mickisup Posts: 295
edited October 2011 in Road beginners
Please could I ask for some advice on what I can do to make my Specalized Allez Elite a little safer in the Autumn conditions? It has the standard tyres (23) and I am a little worried now that these will be dangerous on wet roads with leaves etc.

What can I replace the standard tyre with to make the next few months safer, looking for plenty of grip, do I go for 25's or a 23 with better tread?

Also are my standard wheels ok to keep using or do I need to find some winter wheels?

Many thanks

Comments

• Duffer65
    Duffer65 Posts: 341
    This is a very interesting, and often quoted, article written by Sheldon Brown (R.I.P) who knew a thing or two about bikes. The section titled Tread For On-Road Use should help with your question.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tires.html

I don't know which wheels you have but I would imagine that they would be fine for winter use.
    Where would you be if you fell down a hole?.. Stuck down a hole... in the fog... Stuck down a hole, in the fog, at night... WITH AN OWL!
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    In short:
    - tread makes NO difference
    - tyre compound makes some difference, softer has better grip in most conditions
    - or you could try studs!
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Running wider, (25mm or 28mm if they fit) more durable tyres and dropping the pressure a little can help with grip on wet roads, but nothing except studded tyres will help with black ice or snow. Likewise, avoid wet leaves, mud, white lines and drain covers etc if you want to stay upright. The size and pressure of the tyre contact patch and the roughness of the road surface means that tread is nigh on useless on tarmac - it's only when you get onto softer conditions can it make a difference.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    bompington wrote:
    In short:
    - tread makes NO difference
    - tyre compound makes some difference, softer has better grip in most conditions
    - or you could try studs!
    Not quite right. Tread pattern makes no difference. The tread is the strip of rubber that may or may not have pattern on it. Quite right about compound.
    Being pedantic I know but this mistake is often made. :wink: