Installing cables

markwb79
markwb79 Posts: 937
edited October 2011 in Workshop
Hi, I am starting to build up a bike. But I have got to the part of installing the gear and brake cables.

All the housing is within the frame, how on earth do you get the cables through???

The bike is a Wilier Gran Tourimo

Thanks
Mark
Scott Addict 2011
Giant TCR 2012

Comments

• nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    I take it there's no internal guides? If not then either run the cable through and poke about for a while hoping it pops out the end or could try a bit of string/cotton thread on the end of the cable and use a hoover on the other end and try and suck the thread out then pull the cable through.
  • markwb79
    I thought there was some sort of guide, but towards the end of the down tube there is a 90deg bend needed. I think thats the issue!

String and hoover is a genius idea, I can imagine everyone in the factory right now!

Surely it must be easy to install!
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • FCE2007
    FCE2007 Posts: 925
    nferrar wrote:
    ... try a bit of string/cotton thread on the end of the cable and use a hoover on the other end and try and suck the thread out then pull the cable through.

:? --> :shock: ---> :D
    Powered by Haribo. Zwift convert P.aul Laws [x]
  • markwb79
    Any others?
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Markwb79 wrote:
    Any others?

What more do you want!?...

That technique has worked for me on several builds, or re-cabling jobs... It doesn't get much easier.

Suck the thread through the frame, attach it to your cable then pull/push the cable through the frame... :roll:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    I tried that thechnique and poor old 'Henry' just didn't perform!

In the end I stripped a bit of earth cable to get a long copper strand. This could be bent into the right shape to put down one hole and poke about until it appeared out the other! Then attached the thread to it and pulled back through, then pulled back the other way with the cable....

PP
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Pilot Pete wrote:
    I tried that thechnique and poor old 'Henry' just didn't perform!

In the end I stripped a bit of earth cable to get a long copper strand. This could be bent into the right shape to put down one hole and poke about until it appeared out the other! Then attached the thread to it and pulled back through, then pulled back the other way with the cable....

PP

Henry sucked like a good 'un, for me!... Ooer!! :oops:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • markwb79
    It does sound like a funny way to do it.

But I will try it at the weekend and bow down if it works!
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012