Quicker Clubs in the South Manchester Area

Oddshapedhead95
Oddshapedhead95 Posts: 28
edited October 2011 in Road beginners
Hi all,
I'm looking to join another club in the south Manchester area. I have been in a club for six months, a short time I know. I've found them to be a great club to get me into road cycling, with their kindness and help. However, I've found that as I've got fitter in these few months, the club runs aren't as fast and challenging as I think I'm capable of. As I've just turned 16, I feel that whilst I can, I may as well get into a faster club who concentrate more on training and racing- I'm not saying I'm the next Cavendish, but I wouldn't mind having a go at a bit of racing. Does anyone know which clubs would be suitable for me? I've been doing a little research into the different clubs, but any advice and info would be greatly appreciated :D
Thanks
P.S. Sorry for the long message!

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Two main ones, Manchester Wheelers and Seamons CC. Both should suit you well.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • both very good clubs, do you go on solo rides to push yourself? my clubs a fast club but ive progressed enough myself to know i HAVE to go out by myself and push it as long as possible
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • Thanks for the repilies :) I'll have a look into those clubs to see which is the best for me.
    I go out on my own rides a couple of times a week, more in the holidays. Yeah, it's the only way you can get fitter by pushing yourself. I'm having a go at Long Hill and more today :D
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    Get on the wheelers saturday morning chaingangs. Averaging around 22/23 mph at the moment.
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • :?:
  • straas
    straas Posts: 338
    No experience of seamons wheelers, but went out a couple of times with manchester wheelers.

Nice bunch of people who wait up on the club runs, which is more than can be said for my current club who decide sprinting off a 17% incline is fun.
    FCN: 6
  • straas wrote:
    No experience of seamons wheelers, but went out a couple of times with manchester wheelers.

Nice bunch of people who wait up on the club runs, which is more than can be said for my current club who decide sprinting off a 17% incline is fun.
    sounds like my brother! LOL
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • Ant, can I do the chaingangs at 16? Also, my bike isn't the best in the world :$ Would I need to be getting a better bike before I had a go?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    So long as your bike doesnt fall apart and is safe - it should be fine for a chaingang.
  • a_n_t
    Sure but as with all chaingangs, if you get dropped you're on your own :wink:
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.
  • PostieJohn
    PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
    a_n_t wrote:
    Get on the wheelers saturday morning chaingangs. Averaging around 22/23 mph at the moment.
    and quietly shuffles out of the room! :lol:

Perhaps my old club is ok, after all.
  • Old Tuggo
    Old Tuggo Posts: 482
    Also consider Wills Wheels CRC.
  • Unfortunately can't make the saturday mornings and Seamons is too far away :( Might give Wills Wheels a go
  • kamil1891
    kamil1891 Posts: 658
    Could you tell me which direction the Wheelers go on their chaingang, if it north I would be sooooo happy to join, if it's south I would be worried about getting lost if I somehow get droped (never did chaingang). And where do you guys meet exactly?

edited: so I see that hilton hotel at 9.15 and Prestwich Pizza Express at 9.30 on the website. Could someone confirm on the direction of the route though? :D
  • a_n_t
    Normally head south but tomorrow we're meeting at the Hilton on deansgate at 9:15 and heading to the birch circuit.
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.
  • kamil1891
    kamil1891 Posts: 658
    I don't know the area well but I think that in a special case I should not have any problems with getting back to Rochdale, don't I? :D