My first Road Bike - Orbea Aqua, with new Wheelset + parts

max丨mo
max丨mo Posts: 177
edited October 2011 in Your road bikes
Managed to pick this up from a friend a few months ago for a great price.

Coming from a mountain biking background, I am absolutely loving the power transfer and efficienncy of a road bike. Being able to crunch long distances at great speeds is simply amazing!

I had to ride my Kona for a week on my daily 12 mile commute whilst I was waiting for my new road wheels and it felt like I was dragging a truck around with me.

The only issue was a good deal of play in the rear hub. I had the bearings replaced but the hub was shot, so I have now added a new wheelset and a few other parts, as pictured.

I reckon the bike is probably a size too small for me, hence the flipped stem etc. but it feels comfortable how I have it set up at the moment. Just very low at the front, its such a small headtube, but the reach and saddle height etc seem fine.

I plan to stop spending money on this bike now, I don't think it needs anything else. Maybe next spring I will be in a position to spend a grand on a new bike, with correct sizing this time!

The Spec and upgrades:-

Orbea Aqua 09 (I think!), Carbon forks, Shimano RS10 Wheelset, Shimano Sora Drivetrain, Schwalbe blizzard tyres, KMC X9L Gold chain, New brake shoes + pads, nicked the Charge spoon saddle + Crank bros split skewers from the MTB!

Hope you enjoy the pictures.

I'd say total spent so far is approx. £420.

dscf8112.jpg
dscf8152t.jpg
dscf8154m.jpg
dscf8175u.jpg
dscf8177i.jpg
dscf8191.jpg
dscf8209.jpg
dscf8208n.jpg
dscf8206w.jpg
dscf8203y.jpg
dscf8199.jpg
dscf8202.jpg
dscf8217f.jpg
dscf8192q.jpg

Comments

• billysan
    billysan Posts: 575
    Nice looking first bike, hope you enjoy it :D
  • woody1545
    woody1545 Posts: 322
    Glad to hear your enjoying road cycling. For £420 I reckon you've got yourself a bargain.

If I could offer one small piece of constructive criticism it would be to remove the red handlebar tape. And burn it.

Great bike though!
  • kev77
    kev77 Posts: 433
    Very nice!
  • SWEET BIKE! but just raise your seat post and flip ya stem! :P

im aware most people wont agree with me lol.
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • teulk
    teulk Posts: 557
    I got one of these last April via C2W. My first road bike, did LEJOG on it and a coast to coast along with a few more thousand miles. Totally solid bike and no problems with it what so ever. I cant fault my bike. Although i dont ride it anymore as i got a new bike this April again via C2W i would be sorry to see it go if i ever sold it. It is however probably too small for me if im honest.

Nice bike you have there :D
    Boardman Team 09 HT
    Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
    Specialized Secteur Elite 2011
  • indjke
    indjke Posts: 85
    Go for the white tape and silver chain! :)
    Boardman Team C / 105 / Fulcrum Racing 3
  • teulk
    teulk Posts: 557
    indjke wrote:
    Go for the white tape and silver chain! :)

+1 for the white bar tape, mine has it and it does look better, hard to keep clean tho :D
    Boardman Team 09 HT
    Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
    Specialized Secteur Elite 2011