Finally found a use for my bottle holder holes yesterday

ricardo_smooth
ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
edited October 2011 in MTB general
Spare cleat bolt storers :lol: was caught out yesterday when riding skiddaw, went to unclip and the cleat was just spinning under my foot as i'd lost a bolt! made the descent down quite fun knowing I had to nail it or crash spectacularly with one foot still attached to the bike :lol:

Comments

• ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    That's actually a really good idea!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Got a couple of spare disc rotor bolts in mine.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    ilovedirt wrote:
    Rubbish idea if you don't ride SPD's though.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • And only half a good idea if you switch between flats and spd's like me!
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    cooldad wrote:
    ilovedirt wrote:
    Flats are ghey
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    cooldad wrote:
    ilovedirt wrote:
    Flats are ghey
    Unlike you, I don't have an intimate relationship with my pedals.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Spare cleat bolt storers :lol: was caught out yesterday when riding skiddaw, went to unclip and the cleat was just spinning under my foot as i'd lost a bolt! made the descent down quite fun knowing I had to nail it or crash spectacularly with one foot still attached to the bike :lol:

Bizarrely the same thing happened to me at Brechfa a few weeks ago :shock:

I ended up stealing a bolt from Notax's rotor so I could unclip if I needed to - and since then have started carrying spares!!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • i got a bag of 20 cleat bolts form ebay for a coupl eof quid and carry a couple of pairs with me just incase!! ive not had to use any fortunately (touch wood!!) but a couple of guys have lost one when weve been out!!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I didn't even know this cleat problem existed.

I've been running SPDs for nearly 20 years and never had one come out. I've cracked the sole and it's pulled out with backing plate on.

Perhaps tighten them a lot more.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    A great idea... I was thinking I could carry a spare of two different bolts... but I've never lost a single bolt. I'm going to have a look and see what else fits :)
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I didn't even know this cleat problem existed.

I've been running SPDs for nearly 20 years and never had one come out. I've cracked the sole and it's pulled out with backing plate on.

Perhaps tighten them a lot more.

Dont go mad tightening them I managed to split a cleat nut plate and I wasnt even swinging on the allen key.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Never lost a cleat bolt but a couple of years ago I was in Mexico doing a charity cycle ride and about 100miles in to the 500mile trip someone tapped me on the shoulder and asked "is this yours?" it was the buckle of my race shoe! Would have made for an interesting trip with only one shoe! :oops:
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

Kinesis XC3
    Trek 1.5