Punctures using Nobby Nic / Racing Ralph tyres.....

miss notax
miss notax Posts: 2,572
edited October 2011 in MTB general
Hello :D

Got some Schwalbe Nobby Nic / Racing Ralph tyres a few weeks ago - still getting used to the tyres (I think I like them... :? ) but I have never had so many bloody punctures n my life??!!! I'm not sure whether this is just circumstance, or whether my previous tyres were just more robust.

Anyone else had this problem with these tyres? I am getting fed up of fixing punctures (and of nagging Notax to fix them for me :wink::lol: ).

Thanks!
Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc

Comments

• milko9000
    milko9000 Posts: 533
    I use both without a problem. I remember I had a few weeks where I seemed to get one per ride, but so did my mate (on similar tyres now but at the time I think using Continentals). Neither of us have had one in absolutely ages, we're well overdue.

He got the Snakeskin versions, mine are standard.
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    I ran the same pair of Nobby Nic 2.1s for a year / 1,200 miles with very few punctures - and then had a spate of them including 3 in 3 rides running, all within 100m of each other. But that seemed to be down to them just wearing very thin... the grip was certainly starting to go. My newer 2.25 Nics seem fine so far. Most of my punctures seem to be thorns.

Could be just bad luck - but then again if you were running double defense downhill tubes before then I'd say, yes, your previous tyres were definitely more robust :D
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Thin carcus.

Considered Tubeless? Let the gunk do the fixing?
  • toby_winkler
    toby_winkler Posts: 1,298
    Used to run Racing Ralphs and never had any major problems with them, just the usual amount of punctures really. Only replaced them when I got home after a ride and large amount of inner tube was popping out the sidewall, bare in mind they where about 2 years old at this point!

Replaced with Nobby Nics now and only had 2 punctures so far, one snake bite at FoD (which was my fault for being a fat a*rse) and then just a standard puncture some time back in summer. Really liked both sets of tyres though!

I bet now I'm talking about lack of punctures next ride out I bet i get several :roll:
  • Eranu
    Eranu Posts: 712
    Been running Nics for 4 years or so not had that many punctures*.

Except when I ride Kingly Vale when I seem to cursed and get at least 2 every time I go there. The worst time I got 3 in about 200 yards and yes I did remove thorns everytime.
  • miss notax
    Ok, sounds like it's just bad luck then.... I was starting to wonder what the hell was going on but it's obviously just balancing out my previous lack of punctures then :?

Was running either Panaracer Cinders or High Rollers before I thought I would give these a try (and part of me likes the white stripe on the tyres too :oops: )!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

• dan shard
    dan shard Posts: 722
    I used to have a RR and a NN on my old Cube. Found the the RR was a bit sliipery so resorted to running at low presure hence getting a pinch puncture almost every ride. When I got my remedy I replaced the old knackered conti mountain kings with Fat Alberts pumped up rock hard and never had a single puncture since, and theres endless grip
  • afcbian
    afcbian Posts: 424
    I ran Racing Ralphs on my MTB last year and although I didn't get excessive amounts of punctures I did get 6 or so over one complete summer.
    I compare this with a set of Bontrager Mud-X tyres which I had no punctures at all for a year riding pretty much the same trails
    The Racing Ralphs are quite lightweight rubber so I guess you pay that somewhere along the line :?
    I ride therefore I am
  • dan shard
    Just on a side note, bike manufacturers buy tyres in bulk and even though they are - say 'Schwalbe RR' they can often be a cheaper version than if you bought them from a shop and have a thinner carcas resulting in more punctures

or so I believe
  • miss notax
    dan shard wrote:
    Just on a side note, bike manufacturers buy tyres in bulk and even though they are - say 'Schwalbe RR' they can often be a cheaper version than if you bought them from a shop and have a thinner carcas resulting in more punctures

or so I believe

Really? That's a bit crap isn't it :shock:

I think i'll persevere for a bit longer yet and see what happens..... Although we are up in Scotland for a long weekend and i'll be packing my old Cinders just in case!!

• dan shard
    just out of interest, what pressure are you running them at? (Or are you like me and just give them squeeze lol)
  • miss notax
    Ummmmm.....

About 30ish? Or until they feel 'about right' in reality :lol:

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,549
    Never had any problems with RR's or NN's although I usually run at least 35psi and tbh where I rise is not particularly rocky etc.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • dan shard wrote:
    Found the the RR was a bit sliipery
    +1 to that

Found RR's to be like skating on ice on anything technical and slightly damp/wet. Only had 1 puncture in 6 months on the Schwalbes. Switched to Kenda Nevegals, zero punctures in 18 months and a much, much, much more grippy tyre.
    Orange Five AM
    Cube AMS 100
    GT Avalanche Expert
  • milfredo
    milfredo Posts: 322
    Go tubless = one puncture in 8 years. Caused this year when the gunk in my over a year old NN had dried up.

On most rides I can see where the sealent has done it's job, particually the rear which is heavily laserated.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I found Nobby Nics to be very pinch flat prone unless pumped up to silly pressures so binned the rear and fitted a part worn Maxxis Ardent. Still get the odd one but nothing like so many.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • ste_t
    ste_t Posts: 1,599
    If you ride anywhere remotely rocky, I would just get rid. Ran a RR on the rear briefly, 2 laps of the Marin, 11 punctures. Would have been more, but I ran out of tubes. And patches. Run an Ardent on the rear now, nowhere near as quick, but no flats whatsoever.
  • miss notax
    ste_t wrote:
    If you ride anywhere remotely rocky, I would just get rid. Ran a RR on the rear briefly, 2 laps of the Marin, 11 punctures. Would have been more, but I ran out of tubes. And patches. Run an Ardent on the rear now, nowhere near as quick, but no flats whatsoever.

Hmmm, the forest isn't rocky but i've had oodles of punctures - I dread to think what they'll be like in Wales etc then :?

Purely because i've spent money on the things now i'm determined to persevere until it gets too much for me!

Or should I go back to the trusty high rollers or cinders and kiss goodbye to my nice go faster stripes......?

• ste_t
    ste_t Posts: 1,599
    miss notax wrote:
    Purely because i've spent money on the things now i'm determined to persevere until it gets too much for me!

Or should I go back to the trusty high rollers or cinders and kiss goodbye to my nice go faster stripes......?

I thought exactly the same, the white stripes looked damn good on my bike, but just wasn't worth the hassle! Now the 'summer' is long gone, do you really fancy fixing umpteen punctures in the cold/rain?
  • tenfoot
    tenfoot Posts: 226
    I seem to get a puncture every other ride at the moment, generally caused by thorns.

I'm running a slime rear tube to see what difference that makes (despite being a lot heavier than a standard tube).
  • milfredo
    milfredo Posts: 322
    Cough - tubeless - cough

It really is the way forward if done properly.
  • miss notax
    ste_t wrote:
    Now the 'summer' is long gone, do you really fancy fixing umpteen punctures in the cold/rain?

Fair point :lol:

Ah well, the stripes wouldn't show up soon anyway what with all the mud! Cinders here I come.... 8)

• johnsav
    johnsav Posts: 775
    I have run Ralphs on my hardtail for the last year and a half, same set and not only have they hardly worn but I've only had two punctures. One was a thorn and one was glass that some cun* left in my way.
    I find them amazing when the going is dry and dusty but as said they are like riding on ice when things get more slippy.
    Im running them on my rigid bike now as an "all rounder" and they are doing ok.

NN's on the full sus seem good so far, only had a few decent rides and suffered one thorn puncture so far. 2.25 evos and the grip is awesome.
  • chopchop
    chopchop Posts: 158
    Replaced a set of worn Nevegals with NN's a couple of weeks ago- not one puncture with the Kendas in 3 months, averaged a puncture every other ride with the Schwalbes and hated the nervous handling (although they roll rapidly). Gone back to Nevegals...
  • AMcK
    AMcK Posts: 79
    I can't get on with NNs at all - loads of punctures (including one that sealant just couldn't close) and felt they were going to wash out all the time.

Switched to maxxis ardents - never looked back.

That said, both my riding mates use NNs and haven't had half the trouble (although the tread on one of them has been cut to pieces).
    2011 Black Canyon Nerve XC9.0
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Had a retail set of NN 2.1" a few years back, lasted one week awful grip and week sidewalls that folded in hard cornering so doesn't suprise me you pop them.

Absolutely horrid tyres for AM use, as a pure bred race tyre there probably ok as they roll very fast
  • I've had absolutely no problems with my NN/RRs, love them, just got a Dirty Dan to try when it gets to muddy for the NN.
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    No problems with the newer nics and ralphs, but I am running the DD version.

And why the fark are you aking for sensible advice in the Crud Catcher?
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • miss notax
    No problems with the newer nics and ralphs, but I am running the DD version.

And why the fark are you aking for sensible advice in the Crud Catcher?

Me? Ummm, it's in 'General'....... :?

• Been running NN / RR for 6 months now. Not had a single puncture. Did have the side wall rip on the rear RR though. Heard this is a common issue with these tyres..