Mudguard choice...?

Tegglington
Tegglington Posts: 65
edited October 2011 in Commuting general
Afternoon All,

I commute everyday (7 miles each way), currently riding a Specilized Sirrus Sport 2012. and now its time for mudguards.

I previously had some basic crud catchers, which worked fine on the old bike, but now having the new one i want to look after it a bit more, are full mud guards the way forwards? Bearing in mind I will be commuting everyday during the winter.

The problem i'm running into is that I love the look of the bike without guards, she looks like a stealth bomber with the matt black paint job. Are there any good guards out there that aren't an eyesore? I'm running the standard 700x32 nimbus tyres on her at the moment.

If anybody has any suggestions or advice, it would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks All,

Happy Riding!

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    The answer is Black SKS Chromoplastics p45's or p50's; being black they don't stand out to much and look part of the wheel - at a distance, however the primary reason for choosing them is because they are probably the most effective and most robust ones you can buy.
  • Are SKS definitely better than crud roadracers for the sleek effect?
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    ooermissus wrote:
    Are SKS definitely better than crud roadracers for the sleek effect?
    I don't think the Roadracers will fit a 32mm tyre, probably just up to 25mm. SKS p35's (the narrowest) would also be much better than crud roadracers on a 25mm tyre, other than 1) cruds are sleeker, no doubt, and 2) they are mostly about roadbikes that cannot take normal guards like SKS because of clearance and lack of mudguard bosses. The price of sleek etc, is a less secure / more flimsy fit that may be slightly irritating at times with wheel rub, whereas well fitted chromplastics will be fitted and forgotten. IMHO of course :)
  • Moodyman
    Moodyman Posts: 158
    If you can fit them, then get the full mudguards from Tortec or SKS.

Cruds are a compromise and only good if you're going to take them on and off regularly or if you haven't got mounts for the above.
  • The cruds are v sleek & discreet but are pretty cosy on my 23's. They're not bad to fit,stay put, keep the muck off and the mk2's have a few different end pieces for a longer or shorter tail.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Full mudguards are best for proper commuting. The cruds let the seat tube and hence front mech get filthy.

You can get black reflective tape to put on your black guards. Stealthy but safe.
  • have orderderd some black sks chromoplastic,

sks - great idea on the refelctive tape, will be looking into that! any idea where to purchase?